Primary Venture Partners
Primary Venture Partners is looking to hire a Market Development Associate to support our incubation efforts within Primary Labs. Primary is an early-stage venture capital firm with $1B AUM, investing in pre-seed and seed-stage startups based in New York City. The firm’s Incubation arm launched to support the ideation, research and launch of new startups. Primary’s first three incubated companies will return its first fund many times over, and Primary is now primed for substantial growth in its incubation efforts in 2023. When we incubate businesses at Primary, we go deep with analytical research, customer discovery, market diligence, and more.
Check out our blog post “What Invention and Incubation have in Common” to learn more about Primary’s incubation philosophy.
About This Role
We’re excited to welcome our first Market Development Associate to the Primary Labs team. This person will work directly with the CEOs of each incubated company to help accelerate what is called “product-market fit” from the beginning of the sales process. The associate will work with the CEOs on a daily basis to set up and attend meetings with experts and executives (in the specific field), and the founders, as they pitch their vision of the product. The associate will be a part of all strategic conversations regarding roadmap and sales trajectory, and will bring market feedback to the portfolio companies’ engineering teams.
This is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to skyrocket your sales career, working directly with multiple CEOs from day one. This is a very cross-functional position and one can think of it as working in a startup environment, but with the security of a venture capital firm. This role will provide invaluable insight and experience into building top tier SaaS companies from the ground up.
What You’ll Do
You’ll partner with the CEOs and founding teams for a variety of Primary-incubated businesses to do the following:
* Define or learn the Ideal Customer Profile (“ICP”) for each business
* Experiment with prospecting tactics and relationship-building strategies for target customer personas
* Set up infrastructure and programs to nurture leads and develop scalable pipeline channels
* Secure initial meetings with target customer personas
* Execute initial introductory meetings and discovery sessions to obtain market feedback and inform product roadmap, and learn about executives priorities, challenges, and areas of interest
* Establish initial “Design and Development” partnerships and/or find first users of the product
* Help to land initial customers supporting key sales workstreams like pricing and packaging, deck building, ROI/business case development, etc.
* Participate in the hiring process for the first full-time sales and/or GTM hires for each company
* You’ve spent 1-4 years in GTM roles at technology or technology-enabled startups (roles like sales development, business development, account executive, etc.)
* You’re located in the greater NYC area and are able to be present in our office (near Madison Square Park) 3-5 days per week
* Self-starter: you have an entrepreneur’s intrinsic motivation, capable of independently running with business ideas with substantial ambiguity
* Network-builder: you’re comfortable developing relationships with industry leaders and executives on your own
* Exceptional communicator: you’re sharing the answers before people ask the questions, and you’re quarterbacking lots of moving pieces keeping everyone informed and moving forward
* Storyteller: you’re able to learn rapidly, develop a strong point of view, and communicate compelling narratives
* Speed: you’re at your best working at the warp speed of early stage startups
* Passion: you are genuinely passionate, curious, and articulate about startup/tech trends
$70,000 – $90,000 a year
Compensation is market-competitive with an annual base salary range between $70,000 and $90,000 per year, and will additionally include upside in our funds.