Live Oak Bank
Live Oak is more than a bank. Live Oak helps people realize their full potential so they can create meaningful impact at work, home or in their communities. As an innovation hub, we fully embrace a bold approach to solving problems and surpassing goals. Daily life at Live Oak centers around a culture of taking care of each other, which has made us one of the most desirable places to work. We’ve topped the list of American Banker’s “Best Banks to Work For” because of our unparalleled dedication to our people. Our commitment to our customers and our culture is intertwined, so we seek those who embody and embrace what it takes to empower the American dream. Learn more at liveoakbank.com.
How This Role impacts Live Oak and its People
This role is a critical part of our Venture Capital Business at Live Oak. Live Oak Ventures sits within our Strategy & Development group, which architects the strategic initiatives across the business, as well as evaluates and implements corporate partnerships, investments, and acquisitions. We are looking for a Doer to join ventures. Someone with the Eye of the Tiger – who is willing to work hard, ask a lot of questions, take calculated risks, collaborate, and celebrate. This is where the fun happens!
What You’ll Do at Live Oak
This role will be a significant contributor to the Ventures team at Live Oak Bank. The team is responsible for managing relationships with 10-15 current portfolio companies and participating directly in deal activity for all new investment opportunities. We often lead deals and take board seats, as well as have roles in advising our portfolio companies in their growth strategies. Live Oak Ventures has a successful track record, with over 9x returns, and including recent exits in Finxact and Payrailz for over $1BN combined. The individual will help hold our team accountable to the goals we set and measure and report our progress throughout the year. These efforts will have long-lasting impact on the company’s performance and future success. A successful candidate MUST be passionate about innovation, growth, and collaboration.
How You’ll Do It
- Involvement in all aspects of due diligence on new investments (business analysis, industry thesis, competitive landscape, business/pricing model, and financial modeling / deal structuring)
- Reviewing business plans and pitch decks and being able to draw meaningful decisions and insight.
- Assessing market conditions and company attractiveness to help identify compelling businesses and fintech industry opportunities/trends.
- Monitor the financial performance of our investment portfolio for regulatory, accounting and business objectives.
- Support portfolio companies in their financial planning, capital raising, commercial and growth strategies.
- Prepare financial models and presentations for internal updates to executive team.
- Build internal foundational processes to monitor potential partners and opportunities, track our conversations and progress, and keep our executive team informed.
- Regularly collaborate with company management on reporting, capital and growth strategies
Required and Preferred Experience
- Education: bachelor’s degree is required in relevant area
- Minimum 2 + years’ experience preferably with knowledge of financial technology, financial services, or bank operations
- Evidence of strong leadership and business insight with ability to handle complex situations and bring viable solutions to the table.
- Ability to multitask, handle multiple projects (long-term and short term) at one time, and constantly evolving priorities based on needs of the business.
- Experience evaluating investment opportunities, running the investment process, monitoring the investment portfolio, and reporting on the portfolio’s performance – using experience, financial modeling/data and market research.
- Deep understanding of technology and how it intersects with financial institutions, specifically regarding payment solutions.
- Strong communication skills – ability to lead due diligence calls, participate in management meetings, document trends and performance.
- Team player – ability to work collaboratively in a matrixed organization that is constantly evolving.
- Strong quantitative skills – excel capabilities, including financial modeling.
- Organizational skills – ability to track, monitor and maintain large sets of information from various sources.
- Must reside or be willing to relocate to Wilmington, NC (HQ)
Required to Thrive at Live Oak
- Dedication – You possess a deep commitment to Live Oak Bank’s mission and core values, exemplified through a strong work ethic, adaptability and pride in your work.
- Ownership – You take initiative to deliver positive results by proactively and creatively solving problems, while maintaining a high degree of quality.
- Innovation – You embrace fresh ideas and fearlessly contribute new solutions to emerging or existing problems.
- Teamwork – You foster collaboration, accountability and trust with others and understand that together, we do more.
- Respect – You treat everyone with courtesy, politeness and kindness.
“The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.”