Our purpose – Opening up a world of opportunity – explains why we exist. Here at HSBC we use our unique expertise, capabilities, breadth and perspectives to open up new kinds of opportunity for our more than 40 million customers. We’re bringing together the people, ideas and capital that nurture progress and growth, helping to create a better world – for our customers, our people, our investors, our communities and the planet we all share.
As the Venture Investment Associate you will be part of the Venture and Growth Investment team at HSBC Asset Management. The team directly invests in technology companies globally, who are promoting sustainability. The Venture and Growth Investment team currently manages two venture capital (VC) funds, HSBC Climate Tech Venture Capital Fund and HSBC Financial Technology Venture Capital Fund. The climate tech fund invests in private, fast-growing start-ups looking to solve our climate challenge while targeting top quartile venture returns for our investors.
Here’s what you can expect:
Work closely with the climate tech investment team and portfolio companies. The Associate will support the senior team in the management of the Fund at various investments stages, including creating investment research, writing investment memos, financial modeling, startup engagement, and deal execution. Some responsibilities include:
- Analyzing new investment opportunities
- Running due diligence, including technical feasibility and IP assessment, market analysis, competitive landscaping, unit economics and financial modelling
- Interviewing industry experts and customers
- Developing new investment theses within the Fund’s strategy
- Attending industry events and conferences to meet new startups and investors
- Supporting portfolio companies with market research, taking measures to improve ESG risks, and analyzing their financial metrics for useful insights
For this role, HSBC targets a fixed pay range between $92,300 and $138,400.
The final fixed pay offer will depend on the candidate and a number of variables, including but not limited to, role responsibilities, skill set, depth of experience and education, licensing/certification requirements, internal relativity, and specific work location.
At HSBC, our overall goal is to provide a competitive Total Reward Package, with an appropriate mix of fixed pay, and variable pay, as part of an employee’s overall total compensation and benefits. Variable pay generally takes the form of discretionary, annual awards (sometimes referred to as a “bonus”). Additionally, HSBC offers a wide range of competitive and flexible benefits designed to help you improve your health and well-being, finances, and lifestyle.
Employment eligibility to work with HSBC in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
- At least 3 years’ professional working experience, relevant industry experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or startup incubation, including, a year at a venture capital or private equity firm
- Bachelor’s degree required (professional experience in a STEM field preferred)
- A deep passion for Climate. We value impact as much as financial returns. While having an extensive background in climate tech is not required for this role, you won’t be a cultural fit if you do not care about solving the climate crisis.
- Curiosity for new technologies (AI, robotics, biotech, etc.).
- Financial modeling skills, including advanced Excel proficiency. Should ideally be comfortable with creating capitalization tables, calculating ROI and IRR sensitivity analyses, 3-statement projections, and modeling of business cases/unit economics for customer value propositions.
- Critical thinker, highly organized, shown to meet tight deadlines along with consistent accuracy and methodic attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and driven; proven to work independently, prioritize work, and achieve results with a high degree of accountability.
As an HSBC employee, you will have access to tailored professional development opportunities to ensure you have the right skills for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive pay and benefits package including a robust Wellness Hub, all in a welcoming, diverse and inclusive work environment. You will be empowered to drive HSBC’s engagement with the communities we serve through an industry-leading volunteerism policy, a generous matching gift program, and a comprehensive program of immersive Sustainability and Climate Change Initiatives. You’ll want to join our Employee Resource Groups as they play a central part in life at HSBC, including the development of our employees and networking inside and outside of HSBC. We value difference. We succeed together. We take responsibility. We get it done. And we want you to help us build the bank of the future!