About Us: Genius Guild is a Chicago based venture capital firm that invests in high growth companies using innovation to build, grow and promote healthy communities and environments.
Position Overview: The Associate will be an experienced investment professional who has 3+ years work experience working in early stage venture capital and startups. The Associate will assist the team’s leader(s) in leading, negotiating, and managing the firm’s investments. This position is based in Chicago.
The Associate will be an individual who is highly self-motivated and dependable. The position requires the ability to think independently and a passion for being part of building an investment management company. This person will have an opportunity to make a mark, and will assist the fund’s leaders in defining future investment theses and strategy.
Suitable candidates will have demonstrable, and strong communication skills. The ideal candidate will also have proven and successful relationship building skills, having an ability to independently nurture and leverage partnerships across the early-stage investment community.
The Associate will also perform other duties as deemed necessary in the execution of their responsibilities.
- Assisting with the management of all stages of investments including drafting deal memos, product-specific diligence, market analysis, and conducting primary and secondary research, development of investment themes and theses, legal documentation, modeling, negotiation, investment committee presentations, and other relevant activities
- Researching industries and trends- with a particular focus on health tech, clean/green tech, and urban consumer trends
- Identifying and evaluating potential investments in early & growth stage companies through financial due diligence, market research, and competitive analysis
- Monitor the financial and operational progress, and relevant macro conditions and industry dynamics relevant to startups in the fund’s portfolio
- Supporting existing portfolio company investments through ongoing analysis and review with other investment professionals in the firm
- Co-leading the entire deal process from beginning to end; diligence, underwriting, modeling, structuring, and executing on the operational and documentation front
- Proactively work with the management and board of portfolio companies (in a board observer capacity) to execute growth and operational improvement strategies
- Develop an informed perspective of relevant sectors, including managing and building the GG Investments brand, and nurturing personal relationships with: VC firms, startup accelerators, founders, and other members of the venture ecosystem
- Contributing to investor relations (with LPs)
- Assisting with fundraising activities as needed
- Working closely with the Chief of Staff and Carta, our fund admin.
- 3+ years of work experience including experience at an early stage venture capital firm, at an accelerator, in a major corporate venture capital group, or in management consulting in health, clean/green tech fields.
- An advanced degree from a well-regarded graduate program is helpful, but not required.
- Highly developed analytical skills with ability to define issues, collect and analyze pertinent data, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, draw valid conclusions, propose sound recommendations, and implement approved solutions in support of specified goals; “big picture” view with attention to detail is critical
- Self-starter with demonstrated track record of achievement in fast paced, entrepreneurial work environments
Compensation for this full-time position is $90,000-$110,000 with generous benefits.