Cortado Ventures is an Oklahoma-based venture capital firm investing in early-stage, ambitious companies to define a new generation of economic prosperity for Oklahoma. We invest in B2B tech across software, hardware, and life sciences, with a particular emphasis on the energy, logistics, manufacturing, healthcare, aerospace, and fintech/insurtech sectors. Cortado leverages our team’s deep experience as leaders and innovators to position our portfolio companies for accelerated growth. We typically invest in pre-seed through Series A rounds and are currently investing out of our second fund.
The position: Venture Associate
Oklahoma City, OK or Tulsa, OK
Salary: 80k – 100k, dependent on qualifications. Full benefits (medical, life, dental) will be covered for the employee. Associate is also eligible for up to 20% annual bonus.
Expected start date: January 2023
The Venture Associate position at Cortado Ventures is an excellent opportunity for an early career professional looking to build a career in venture capital or startups, while having a tremendous impact on the entrepreneurial ecosystem of Oklahoma and the broader Midcontinent region.
The Associate will work alongside our investment team to source deals, conduct diligence, and put together investment memos and other investment related materials. The Associate will also play a significant role in portfolio company management and support, problem-solving with startup CEOs and attending board meetings as needed. In addition to those primary responsibilities, the Associate will get many “touches of the ball” in all aspects of the venture capital firm, and may be asked to complete tasks to support operations, PR, internal reporting, budgeting, investor relations, and more as needed.
Deal sourcing and diligence
- Source investment opportunities and make the initial outreach
- Conduct due diligence on potential startup investments by: meeting with entrepreneurs, researching markets and competitors, evaluating technology and IP, analyzing financial and returns models, calling customers and industry experts, and more
- Document all diligence findings and prepare internal investment memos
Portfolio company management and support
- Support the investment team with portfolio tracking, collecting and analyzing important metrics from portfolio companies each quarter
- Get “in the weeds” with portfolio companies as needed, helping with research for new markets, recruiting, fundraising planning, etc.
- Potentially attend portfolio company board meetings as an observer when needed
- Become a subject matter expert in Cortado’s processes and tech tools, and work to improve internal operations where possible
- Be a presence for Cortado in the broader entrepreneurial ecosystem by attending speaking events, demo days, etc.
- Occasionally create content for Cortado’s newsletter and blog
- Support and manage interns, when applicable
The ideal candidate has a strong academic background and 4-6 years of relevant work experience in venture capital, consulting, private equity, startups, or entrepreneurial support. Demonstrable skills in deal sourcing, diligence and execution, and portfolio management are a plus.
Candidates should be:
- Intelligent, ambitious self-starters who operate with integrity above all else
- Great at organization and time management
- Intellectually curious and strong critical thinkers
- Excellent communicators, both written and verbal
- Interested in tech and up to speed on tech and VC industry trends
- Confident in Microsoft Office and comfortable building and analyzing financial models in Excel
- Passionate about the development of Oklahoma as a tech and entrepreneurial hub
In addition to completing the application on LinkedIn, please send an email to email@example.com with a few paragraphs explaining your interest in the role and why you think you are a great fit.