Citi Ventures invests in category-defining startups with the potential to augment and enhance Citi’s products and services, helping our clients thrive in a world of change. The Citi Ventures team is seeking a highly motivated individual to (a) develop investment theses, (b) source and execute investments, (c) monitor and support portfolio companies, and (d) drivecommercializations with a focus on startups in Fintech, broadly defined to include not only Payments, Banking, Lending, and Wealth but also Future of Commerce, Proptech, and Digital Ledger Technology/Digital Assets.
Besides investing, the individual will engage the startups with Citi colleagues and clients which can help (x) the startup refine its product roadmaps and/or enter into commercial relationships, (y) Citi stay at the cutting edge of innovation, and (z) Citi Ventures generate outsized financial returns. The role is in New York.
(a) Develop investment theses and partner with the businesses
- Leverage internal signals by engaging with Citi colleagues and clients to understand their strategic priorities and roadmaps
- Leverage external signals by conducting market research on emerging industry trends, deal flow, and specific startups; networking with VCs and startup founders
- Organize and attend venture capital and startup ecosystem events
- Prepare presentations on relevant industry trends and organize domain sessions and startup workshops for Citi colleagues and clients to share market intelligence while obtaining feedback loops
(b) Source and execute investments in distinctive fintech startups
- Source, screen, and track dealflow proactively (research-based targeted outreach) and reactively (intros from the candidate’s own, Citi Ventures’ and Citi’s networks)
- Conduct due diligence on potential investments in collaboration with deal leads
- Create investment decks, models, and deal memos
- Own the deal approval governance process
(c) Monitor and support portfolio companies
- Support the post-investment portfolio monitoring process
- Help portfolio companies align product roadmaps with key industry challenges
(d) Drive commercializations
- Introduce existing and prospective portfolio companies to Citi colleagues and clients for commercialization purposes
- Help navigate Citi with periodic check-ins and/back channeling
- Must have a minimum of (a) 2 years of experience in tech or financial-services focused investment banking or (b) 1 year of experience in tech/fintech-focused venture investing, in San Francisco
- Previous experience in strategy consulting is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree from a top college or university, preferably in Economics, Finance, or other analytical disciplines
- Drive and ability to collaborate in teams and work independently
- Ability to articulate and debate opinions on potential investments
- Ability to navigate a large financial services organization and to engage executives from Citi and clients
This job description provides a high-level review of the types of work performed. Other job-related duties may be assigned as required.
Job Family Group:
Project and Program Management
New York New York United States
Primary Location Salary Range:
$95,640.00 – $143,460.00
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the “EEO is the Law” poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Effective November 1, 2021, Citi requires that all successful applicants for positions located in the United States or Puerto Rico be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of such vaccination prior to commencement of employment.