We are Braven, an institutionally-backed venture capital firm specializing in the complex, regulated industries that underpin society, investing in startups seeking to transform finance, healthcare, industrials, and defense. We founded Braven because we believe there are large, underserved opportunities to earn outsized financial returns while having exponential impacts on key industries. We are pioneering a new VC model in which founders, investors, and partners collaborate in unprecedented ways to build and scale early-stage breakthrough companies. Our unique venture model is engineered to actively co-build companies alongside founding teams, providing access to the necessary resources and stakeholders they would not have otherwise.
Braven is a joint venture with multi-billion dollar alternative asset management firm 26North, founded by private equity leader and philanthropist Josh Harris. Our firm is led by BlackRock’s venture group founder and former head William Abecassis, who is joined by a world-class team of investors and operators with a strong record of success.
As we continue to grow this new firm, we seek a full-time Venture Capital Associate reporting directly to William Abecassis, Managing Partner. This remote role is a critical position focused on a balance between internally facing analyst/research/operational support and portfolio-facing engagement and value creation. While some firms bifurcate between investment and operation roles, we blend the two – the same role that identifies value creation opportunities is then side-by-side in the portfolio executing against it.
Most important, this is an opportunity to get on the ground floor of a new Venture Capital firm with career growth and advancement opportunities as we evolve. We are looking for passionate Braveneers who bring an ownership mentality and want to be part of building something new and transformative.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES…
- Executing special projects for the Managing Partner tied to both tactical and strategic initiatives requiring the ability to research/collect large amounts of information and synthesize the findings with a strong, thoughtful viewpoint
- Partner with our portfolio companies to “co-build” their game-changing companies by facilitating programs that will enhance how they design, evaluate and advance their strategic initiatives, including proactively identifying opportunities and potential risks to portfolio company success
- Ideate with the Braven teams to plan and execute deep research projects, including timelines, resource requirements, and expected deliverables for internal teams, potential investors and founders/potential founders
- Participate in investment diligence process of validating the opportunities and identifying the partners, insights, and expertise in place to de-risk the investments and execute against an aligned vision.
- Create a network of resources of operators, innovators and customers within our key industries (finance, healthcare, industrials, and defense) to keep a constant, proactive pulse on the most recent developments and trends
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE TO PREPARE YOU FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY:
- Strong preference for experience working at a consulting firm in consulting role (Associate, Engagement Manager, Consultant, etc). Ideally, either Bain, McKinsey or BCG; if you haven’t been at these firms, we’d ask you to demonstrate the acquisition of similar skills/abilities developed in their training programs
- The ability to quickly assimilate information and become a credible resource on sectors of interest including finance (banking, payments and insurance), healthcare, industrials, and defense
- Experience building playbooks that can be rapidly deployed for scale
- Proven record of high performance and substantial impact while gathering and analyzing information, formulating and testing hypotheses, and developing and communicating recommendations
- A demonstrated ability to drive multiple concurrent initiatives in a changing environment by leveraging strong program management skills
- Dexterity leveraging professional communication tools including exceptional, executive-quality presentations using Google Slides, formal proposals using Google Docs/Word as well as planning/analytic skills leveraging Google Sheets/Excel
To achieve this mission, we are looking for these attributes in members of our team:
- Is a courageous teammate, willing to push the boundaries into the unknown to achieve the greatness that others are afraid of doing or incapable of seeing
- Excels at putting structure on ambiguity, prioritizing, project managing, and taking a results-driven approach to work (testing, measuring, iterating)
- Achieves 10x results by leveraging systems thinking and data to take a deliberate approach to creating massive scale with quality and consistency.
- Possesses a growth mindset, sense of curiosity, and strong problem-solving skills; you are constantly learning about emerging trends to identify potential opportunities
- Has a high EQ, enjoys meeting people and building relationships with a wide range of people from senior executives to leaders in their respective fields
- Leverages exceptional instincts to drive business outcomes and financial results
- Ability to think and operate with clarity within high stress situations
- Is a creative problem solver who excels at identifying trends and patterns, developing a root-cause diagnosis, and using a diverse toolkit to address the root causes
- Leads by example, creating a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to work; demonstrates the attributes of being both diplomatic and directive.
ADVANTAGES OF WORKING AT BRAVEN
Braven isn’t built to be the 3,001st US venture firm — we’re built to be the first firm engineered from the ground up to co-build companies tackling what we believe to be the largest and most important opportunity set of the next few decades. Our journey will require capability, grit and courage. We will push ourselves as much as we will push you. Along the way, there are both short term and long term rewards and development opportunities. We also offer the following to all Braven employees:
For Your Prosperity
- Base salary based on experience and aligned to VC market compensation
- Significant upside through participation in success of the fund with carried interest (also called “carry”- similar to equity with significant upside)
- Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability (as well as optional Long Term Disability)
- Complimentary access to SoFi, an online suite of financial tools including educational tools, loan refinancing options, and SoFi invest, with cash back bonuses
- Employee Discount Programs on things like cell phones, restaurants and more
Good Health and Happiness
- As an early team member, your input will help us shape what is most valuable for Braven employees’ physical and mental well-being. That said, we believe that we have designed a comprehensive suite of offerings to make sure your physical and mental health are top priorities!
- Medical/dental/vision insurance offerings with some individual options covered 100% by Braven, including full access to:
- Rightway, a dedicated health concierge and personal care navigator that helps employees find care, book appointments, and manage billing and claims
- One Medical, a primary care practice that offers same-day appointments (remotely or in person) that start on time, as well as 24/7 care over Video Chat
- For your mental health and wellbeing, we offer a variety of resources
- Guardian, an Employee Assistance Program that offers a professional counselor to work through a wide variety of personal issues on everyday topics
- Spring Health, offering three complimentary sessions that can include any combination of exercise, digital cognitive behavioral therapy and more
- Paid holidays and flexible time off as needed. This is sometimes called “Unlimited PTO”; we don’t have a set amount of days you are able to take off but rather expect you to manage your well-being by taking time off as needed while also successfully performing your role
- Coaching and mentoring, continuous education and opportunities to engage with exceptional colleagues both at Braven and in our larger community, including visionary founders harnessing technology to change the world
- To help bring everyone together, we offer:
- Regular team lunches with the opportunity for you to order from local restaurants through DoorDash (or similar), paid for by Braven
- Quarterly off-sites focused on collaboration and social time
- Fun online collaboration games and meetings