Founded in Silicon Valley in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as “a16z”) is a venture capital firm that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to venture to late-stage technology companies, across bio + healthcare, consumer, crypto, enterprise, fintech, games, and companies building toward American dynamism. a16z has $35B in assets under management across multiple funds.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the company-building process; we know what it’s like to be in the founder’s shoes. We’ve invested in companies like Affirm, Airbnb, Coinbase, Databricks, Devoted Health, EQRx, Figma, GitHub, Instacart, OpenSea, Roblox, Stripe, and Substack. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping founders and their companies impact and change the world.
We have an immediate opening for a Fund Strategy Associate in our Strategy and Operations group. The primary function of this role is to provide data and analysis to the firm’s leadership and business units (venture, bio+health, games, growth and crypto teams) so that they can manage their portfolios of investments and manage fund deployment, construction and strategy.
To join our team you should be excited to:
- Assist the Fund Strategy team with all aspects of business unit partnering. The Fund Strategy Associate will provide impactful analyses of fund investments, help with fund-level cash flow planning and offer unique insights on fund performance. Tasks will include partnering with cross-functional teams, creating compelling presentations and reporting, and building complex financial models
- Create and maintain planning infrastructure and assist in developing the firm’s fund strategies for deployment, reserve planning and pacing
- Additionally, you will be impactful in a number of strategy areas relating to fund management, including but not limited to:
- Analyze portfolio construction data including investments by stage and sector
- Provide insights about follow-on investing trends and success
- Assist teams with pre-deployment planning – including primary capital budgeting, follow-on investment modeling fund return scenario planning
- Partner with investor relations and business unit teams to provide real-time fund performance data
- Partner with business units to create customized dashboards that will empower them to drive business value
- Assist with fund-level cash planning, including cash and stock distribution strategy and cash recycling strategy
- Utilize historical investment data to drive insights that can impact go-forward fund deployment strategies
- Investment Data Tracking and Analysis
- Fund Deployment Planning
- Fund Performance Tracking
- Distribution and Recycling Planning
- Post Deployment Analysis
- Dedicated team player that is willing to wear multiple hats
- Strong personal drive and integrity
- Advanced interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally across the various operational groups within a16z
- Demonstrated personal and professional achievement
- Ideal candidate will have 1-2 years of investment banking or consulting experience, plus 1-2 years of strategic finance experience – ideally at a technology company or investment fund
- Candidate’s experience should demonstrate the ability to build complex financial models and compelling presentations
- Working knowledge of Python and various data libraries a plus but not required
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, Economics, Computer Science, Data Science, or a technical field preferred but not required
- Candidate must be authorized to work in and be living in the United States
- This role requires an in-office presence 1-2 days a week in our Menlo Park office, but is also open to candidates that can work from our San Francisco, Santa Monica, or New York office.
The anticipated salary range for this role is between $135,000-$179,000, actual starting pay may vary based on a range of factors which can include experience, skills, and scope.
This role is eligible to participate in the a16z carry program and various discretionary bonus programs as well as benefit and perquisite plans including health, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 401K plan, vacation, and sick leave.
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.
Our organization participates in E-Verify. Click here to learn about E-Verify.
Andreessen Horowitz hereby reserves the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received from outside recruiting agencies and / or individual recruiters without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.