Advance Venture Partners
Advance Venture Partners (AVP) is hiring an Investment Associate to focus on late-stage venture capital and early-stage growth investments across the enterprise and consumer technology landscape. You must have a passion for technology and startups as demonstrated by career choices or deep involvement in the ecosystem. The role is a unique opportunity to be a part of a small investing team and as such you will play a critical role in all aspects of new investment activity. You should expect an increasing amount of responsibility and exposure, as it is earned, with the potential for internal growth opportunities for top performers. The role is based out of our San Francisco office.
AVP is a unique evergreen venture capital firm that generally leads Series A, B, and C rounds and targets deploying $75MM to $125MM per year into new investments. We are theme or sector-driven and are comfortable investing in companies serving either enterprise or consumer end markets. Our initial check sizes range from $10MM to $25MM, and we can deploy $50MM to $75MM of total capital over the life of an investment. We typically make 4-6 new investments per year in addition to follow-on investments in existing portfolio companies. Our evergreen fund structure allows us to be patient capital and long-term strategic partners to our portfolio companies.
Representative AVP investments include Affinity, Alto, Compass, Curology, Morning Consult, Headspace Health, Openly, and Tegus. AVP has been investing in top technology and technology-enabled companies since 2014 and is led by the former head of TPG Growth. We are a small 4-person team (plus a couple of additional venture partners), and we are growing to 5-6 investment professionals. This is a unique opportunity to join a lean, growing team with a great culture.
Please visit www.avp.vc for more information.
1. Conducting due diligence on new investment opportunities:
- Actively manage all aspects of the due diligence process and workflows
- Conduct in-depth financial analysis including creation of company operating models and evaluation of fundamental business economics
- Preparation of company valuation materials
- Perform market and competitive research
- Prepare investment memos and other discussion materials
2. Identifying new investment opportunities and themes:
- Source new investment opportunities through direct outreach and existing relationships
- Represent the firm at industry conferences/events and network with venture capital peers
- Perform market research to identify investment trends, sectors, and themes
- Assess competitive landscapes and other market mapping exercises
3. Supporting active portfolio companies:
- Lead occasional, short term project work for portfolio companies
- Help manage quarterly portfolio review
4. Other responsibilities supporting the investment team:
- Internal metrics benchmarking and data analysis
- Other projects as needed
- 2+ years of work experience in investing, investment banking, or management consulting
- Strong financial model skills with experience in financial analysis, creation of financial and operating models, and investment valuation techniques
- Entrepreneurial minded self-starter with a “can do” attitude that thrives as part of a small team with significant responsibility and a high-level of autonomy
- Ability to set and manage deadlines while working on multiple projects at a time
- Personal passion and intellectual curiosity for technology, consumer, and media trends and business models
- Avid user and early adopter of new consumer applications and technologies
- Independent, critical thinker with a point of view on the risks/rewards of new investment opportunities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Flexibility to travel as needed
- The role is based out of our San Francisco office, and we have returned to the office given the collaborative nature of our small team. You must be based in San Francisco or willing to relocate.