Vanguard’s Strategic Business Development team proactively supports the firm’s leadership and businesses to identify, source and execute M&A, partnerships and minority investments that support Vanguard’s strategy and innovation.
Strategic Business Development’s venture investing team is specifically tasked to:
- Source, evaluate, and execute venture investment deals alongside cross-functional stakeholders
- Expand Vanguard’s presence in the venture capital space, allowing access to the latest innovations and technologies relevant to our business
- Ensure connectivity of our venture investing activities to business strategy and alignment with enterprise and business unit priorities
- Enable sharing of learnings from our venture efforts with our business leaders
More About The Job
The Venture Investing Analyst will work on enterprise-level inorganic activities and venture investments for Vanguard’s leadership. Our team works closely with the rest of our strategy teams (e.g., Competitive Intelligence, Core Strategy) and deal teams within Strategic Business Development on projects aligned with Vanguard’s divisions.
In this role, you will:
- Drive strong business outcomes through high impact venture opportunities and be comfortable with ambiguity
- Collaborate well with Strategic Business Development and business unit leaders and thrive in a fast-paced deal-focused environment
- Demonstrate a strong growth mindset and have long-term leadership ambitions at Vanguard
- Demonstrate strong conceptual and analytical problem-solving skills
- Cultivate difference of thought by adding diverse perspectives
- Be candid to help challenge the status quo and help shape the ‘future Vanguard’
- Assist process to source, evaluate, and execute strategic venture investment opportunities for the enterprise and business units.
- Perform research and analysis relevant to new venture investment opportunities, as well as for new strategic initiatives, mergers & acquisitions, and partnerships in coordination with the broader Strategic Business Development team
- Conduct in depth financial analysis including valuation, investment return, and market landscape assessments / benchmarking with supervision from senior analysts
- Complete analysis, findings, and recommendations for presentation to senior management.
- Develop a network of external relationships to increase Vanguard’s presence in the venture capital space
- Develop and manage effective working relationships with cross-functional teams, senior leaders and key internal stakeholders.
- Aid ongoing assessment of the portfolio of investments and recommends changes to the investment process, as needed.
- Assist additional strategic projects and performs other duties as assigned, particularly in support of mergers & acquisitions, partnerships, and portfolio company support in coordination with the broader Strategic Business Development and Corporate Strategy teams.
What it takes:
- Minimum of two to three years related work experience in venture capital or corporate venture capital investing, investment banking, corporate development, or management consulting
- Investing, operating, or technical experience in financial services and financial services technology a plus
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard’s core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Future of Work
During the pandemic, we transitioned to a work from home model for the majority of our crew and we continue to interview, hire, and on-board future crew remotely.
As we have developed the path forward, we have taken a thoughtful approach that both maximizes the advantages of working remotely and the many benefits of coming together and collaborating in a shared workspace. We believe that in-person interactions among our crew are important for preserving our unique culture and advantageous for the personal development of our crew.
When our Crew return to the office, many will work in our hybrid model. A smaller proportion of our crew will operate in the Work from Home work model (for example, field sales crew); or in the Work from Office model (for example, portfolio managers).
The working model that your role falls into will be communicated to you in the interview process – please do ask if you are unsure. We encourage you to make the decision regarding your job interview and offer knowing which model your role will fall into. We will test and learn as our ways of working evolve and will continue to evaluate working models along the way.