Pivotal Ventures (“Pivotal”) is an investment and incubation company created by Melinda French Gates. We partner, invest, and advocate to remove barriers that hold people back, concentrating on areas where progress and opportunity have stalled for millions of Americans. The pursuit of a more equal and equitable United States—not just for some of us, but for everyone—is what drives us forward. It’s the why behind every problem we tackle.
We approach partnership with big ambitions and open minds, embracing what’s already working and innovating beyond traditional philanthropy. Some areas we focus on: women in technology and innovation; Women in public office; women and girls of color; adolescent mental health; paid family and medical leave; and caregiving.
Inspired by our founder, we reach across communities and sectors to bring together changemakers who can scale up proven ideas and catalyze new ones. We learn from their experiences, amplify their resources, then step back so they can lead.
Our impatience with the status quo is fueled by an optimism that progress is always possible.
The investment analyst will support the organization’s investment function and will primarily be responsible for supporting a pipeline of investments and assisting in investment diligence across both fund and direct investment opportunities. The investment analyst will be charged with conducting market research and data analysis to support broader strategy development work as it relates to the investment portfolio. The analyst will also partner closely with the team to develop resources to better support a growing investment portfolio and ecosystem of partners.
- Lead and drive data entry and relationship tracking in resource management system (CRM), holding responsibility for accuracy and upkeep of pipeline management.
- Support diligence process for both direct and indirect/fund investments, including but not limited to conducting sector analysis, developing competitive landscape analyses, and evaluating financial models, etc.
- Maintain dashboard of portfolio updates and lead development of internal materials for quarterly investment committee meetings and Principal updates.
- Support quarterly portfolio reporting (together with external investment advisors/consultants).
- Support ongoing monitoring of existing and new investments, including reviewing monthly and quarterly manager reports and taking minutes during regular check-ins with fund managers.
- Create detailed briefs, documents, agendas and other materials as requested in support of the investment team.
- Collaborate deeply with internal stakeholders, particularly the Program Strategy team (who sets the programmatic priorities) and the Communications team, as well as external consultants and partners.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or behavior required to be successful in this role.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience performing financial analysis and modeling.
- Strong track record and interest in internal collaboration, creating processes for seamless communication, education, and knowledge transfer.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building capabilities with external partners, with a client-first orientation.
- An approach to work that combines humility, curiosity, collaboration, humor and commitment to Pivotal’s broader mission.
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment; comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and adjusting course based on feedback and new information.
- Collaborative, team player with high integrity and a strong work ethic; committed to personal improvement.
- Ability to assign priorities to multiple requests for information, while ensuring integrity, accuracy, completeness, and timeliness.
- Ability to react well under pressure and maintain a positive, cooperative and professional attitude under a variety of circumstances.
- Enthusiasm and passion for investing and personal commitment to the important role that women and girls can play in transforming the world.
- Minimum 1-3 years investment experience, specifically engaging with identifying and diligence fund managers or direct (company) investment opportunities.
- Must be able to pass Background Investigation including Criminal, Public Records and Credit Checks.
This is a full-time position. Base annual compensation range for this role is from $87,500-$91,500.
This job is based in Pivotal’s Washington, DC office. This role may require domestic travel (between 10-20% of your time)
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life, long-term disability and long-term care insurance, fertility benefit, backup caregiving solution, 144 hours of vacation, 96 hours of sick leave, 401k, HSA, FSA, discretionary annual target performance bonus and more.
To apply, send submit your application via the Pivotal Ventures Careers page.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Pivotal values diversity and is strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants seeking employment. All employment decisions at Pivotal are based on the candidate’s or employee’s capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, age, national origin, citizenship, veteran, military, or marital status, sensory, physical, or mental disability, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. If you need assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or recruiting process, please contact email@example.com.