Alpaca VC is an all grit-no bullshit team of five investors who are committed to finding and supporting the best founders throughout the formative years of the startup lifecycle. We are a highly engaged team that blends collaboration and autonomy, and who values results and learning over rigid office hours. Everyone on the team is a solo-preneuer, yet no one hesitates to ask for help or assistance. We’ve been lucky to partner with top portfolio companies, including Compass, Sandbox, Latch, Imperfect Foods, Upstream, Transfix, FirstBase, Monument, and more.
We are looking for “Employee #7” — a new Analyst. It’s an opportunity for someone looking to break into venture and get meaningful exposure to many facets of the industry: founders, other investors, and deal structure/terms and operators. To see a variety of deals and get creative and employ “out of the box” thinking. We encourage a founder’s mentality — seeking out responsibility, forming strong opinions, leveraging your unique skill sets, and continually developing personally and professionally.
You’ll support a critical business function — evaluating potential deals — and will help us to complete research on companies and perform due diligence so we can make quick investments with conviction. It’s a chance to partner closely with the entire team and in doing so develop special relationships.
You will work primarily with one of our General Partners, David Goldberg, on Web3 initiatives – everything from Infrastructure to DeFi to Gaming. Due to a relationship with a Limited Partner (an investor in our Funds), you will be based predominantly in Hawaii, with frequent travel on the ‘Web3 Event/Conference Circuit’.
In this job you will:
- Be a core part of our six person investment team
- Immerse yourself into Web3 communities and culture
- Perform background research on potential company investments to develop an opinion on the risks and upside of investment
- Draft recommendation memos to inform senior team members of the pros and cons of investing in a company
- Meet with founders and operators to better understand their company, how they plan to go beyond their seed stage, and in so doing strike a balance between learning about them and showing them the value of joining the Alpaca community
- Attend events, network in the broader ecosystem, and be a brand champion of the firm
- Build a presence inside the emerging Hawaii tech ecosystem
What makes you a great fit for this role:
- You’re curious and passionate about start-ups and technology, especially Web3
- You have the uncanny ability to take incomplete information about a company and quickly build out a more complete picture of their future (think solving a puzzle)
- You have very strong written skills and can communicate verbally with internal team members and potential founders
- You’re a natural networker and bridge builder; someone who likes making connections and building relationships within the broader venture ecosystem
- You strike a balance between craftsmanship (care for the quality of your work) with pragmatism (good enough is good enough)
- You’re willing to do whatever it takes — including support work — because you want to support the team
- Completed Bachelors degree and 1–3 years of relevant work experience
- You seek adventure and new experiences, including frequent travel
- Competitive compensation and benefit package
- Paid-for travel/lodging at most relevant Web3 events