Vanguard’s Strategic Business Development team proactively supports the firm’s leadership and businesses to identify, source and execute M&A, partnerships and minority investments that support Vanguard’s strategy and innovation.
Strategic Business Development’s venture investing team is specifically tasked to:
- Source, evaluate, and execute venture investment deals alongside cross-functional stakeholders
- Expand Vanguard’s presence in the venture capital space, allowing access to the latest innovations and technologies relevant to our business
- Ensure connectivity of our venture investing activities to business strategy and alignment with enterprise and business unit priorities
- Enable sharing of learnings from our venture efforts with our business leaders
More About The Job
The Venture Investing Senior Associate will work on enterprise-level inorganic activities and venture investments for Senior Staff. Our team works closely with the rest of our strategy teams (e.g., Competitive Intelligence, Core Strategy) and deal teams within Strategic Business Development on projects aligned with Vanguard’s divisions.
The ideal candidate will
- Drive strong business outcomes through high impact venture opportunities and be comfortable with ambiguity
- Collaborate well with Strategic Business Development and business unit leaders and thrive in a fast-paced deal-focused environment
- Demonstrate a strong growth mindset and have long-term leadership ambitions at Vanguard
- Demonstrate strong conceptual and analytical problem-solving skills
- Cultivate difference of thought by adding diverse perspectives
- Be candid to help challenge the status quo and help shape the ‘future Vanguard’
- Drive process to source, evaluate, and execute strategic venture investment opportunities for the enterprise and business units.
- Perform research and analysis relevant to new venture investment opportunities, as well as for new strategic initiatives, mergers & acquisitions, and partnerships in coordination with the broader Strategic Business Development team
- Complete in depth financial analysis including valuation, investment return, and market landscape assessments / benchmarking independently
- Creates and present analysis, findings, and recommendations to senior management.
- Develop a network of external relationships to increase Vanguard’s presence in the venture capital space
- Develop and manages effective working relationships with cross-functional teams, senior leaders and key internal stakeholders.
- Aid ongoing assessment of the portfolio of investments and recommends changes to the investment process, as needed.
- Assist additional strategic projects and performs other duties as assigned, particularly in support of mergers & acquisitions, partnerships, and portfolio company support in coordination with the broader Strategic Business Development and Corporate Strategy teams.
What it takes:
- Minimum of three to five years related work experience in venture capital or corporate venture capital investing, investment banking, corporate development, or management consulting
- Investing, operating, or technical experience in financial services and financial services technology a plus
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Graduate degree preferred.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.