Sustainable Ventures exists to solve the challenges of climate change and resource scarcity through commercial innovation. We are on a mission to help develop 1000 Climate Tech start-ups by 2025.
We are looking for a Senior Investment Associate to join our leading pre-seed venture investment accelerator. You will be working alongside the partners and will be responsible for sourcing and transacting new investments across climate tech verticals and providing high quality support to our portfolio companies to help them rapidly accelerate their technologies.
The successful candidate will have experience of undertaking due diligence and transacting venture capital investments. You must have a passion for supporting early-stage founders who are trying to mitigate climate change.
About Sustainable Ventures
Our impact on the planet’s climate and its natural resources is being felt more often & by more people than ever before. It is clear that significant changes must be made to achieve the targets set by the IPCC and reach Net Zero by 2050. This presents the world’s biggest challenge, and it is something that Sustainable Ventures has been working towards solving since 2011. We believe in the power of commercial innovation to address the twin challenges of climate change and resource scarcity.
We are Europe’s largest ecosystem of Climate Tech start-ups and over the past 11 years we have expanded our services to cover: Investment (six seed-stage funds raised to date and 38 investments made), Workspaces (with over 450+ innovators and entrepreneur members) and delivery of a range of venture and commercial support services directly to start-ups and on behalf of public sector and corporate partners.
Sustainable Ventures is already one of Europe’s leading investors into Climate Tech innovations, having made 38 investments across the past 5 years in pre-seed stage technologies such as advanced materials, renewable asset IoT, SaaS platforms and materials tracing software. You will be joining to help invest our sixth pre-seed fund and secure additional capital for future growth.
Responsibilities & Tasks
You will be working alongside the existing team members to source new dealflow and execute new transactions. You will also be expected to help the team in delivering growth support to each of the portfolio companies we back and you will be heavily involved in liaising with and reporting to our investor base on those companies. In addition, you will play a prominent role in raising capital to support our future investment plans. In summary, the role is likely to include:
- Building our investment pipeline, identifying, assessing and proposing potential investments
- Leading the due diligence process for potential investments, undertaking deep-dives into climate tech verticals and liaising with external experts
- Reviewing and assessing investment models and valuations
- Supporting the investment transaction process including drafting investment papers, helping negotiate legal terms and managing any co-investors
- Helping to deliver support to portfolio companies to help accelerate growth, including building commercial relationships, supporting product development and securing follow-on funding
- Collating and reporting portfolio data internally and to our investor base
- Playing a prominent role in raising additional capital to increase our funds under management
- Representing and promoting the team at start-up events and to external stakeholders
You must have some experience in supporting venture capital transactions and be capable of undertaking due diligence over potential investments. You may also have prior experience within an accountancy or corporate finance firm and are now looking to move into the venture capital industry. In summary we expect the successful candidate to demonstrate the following skills:
- Minimum of 4 years’ relevant professional investment experience within venture capital or an equivalent investment role
- Transactional exposure, including experience in managing due diligence, proposing investment opportunities and transacting investments
- Understanding of the climate tech start-up environment and the needs of founders, with a demonstrated ability to provide high-quality growth support
- Demonstrable knowledge of and passion for ClimateTech
- Possess interpersonal skills to engage with senior team members, investment committee, founders, co-investors and other stakeholders
- Proven organisational skills for managing multiple projects simultaneously, co-ordinating deliverables and meeting deadlines.
You can expect a competitive remuneration package. We expect you to be present in our flagship workspace in London at least once a week, but we welcome candidates located across the UK. Please note you must be eligible to work in the UK – if not we cannot consider your application.
Sustainable Ventures is an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. This is a full-time role and we are unable to accept requests for reduced working hours.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter outlining exactly how you meet the role requirements and skills expectations (max 2 pages), alongside your CV (including a deal sheet demonstrating your prior venture investment experience) to:
email@example.com with ‘Senior Investment Associate’ in the subject title.
Please note any applications without a cover letter or CV will not be considered.
Application deadline: 3rd April 2023