In-Q-Tel (IQT) is a not-for-profit that serves and powers the national security interests of the U.S. and its allies, providing the most sophisticated source of strategic technical knowledge, insights, and capabilities. IQT powers its partners ahead of the curve through cutting-edge research, strategic investments, exploration and applied research, and acceleration of capabilities
IQT understands that life is more than just work. We offer a wide variety of benefits designed to support the whole person including but not limited to:
- Health, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- 401k Plan
- Unlimited Vacation
- Tuition & Professional Development Assistance
- Student Loan Repayment & College Savings
- Parental Leave
- Family Forming Support
- Child/Elder Care Support
- Gym Stipend
- Wellness Perks
- Telework & Flexible Schedule
Visit our website to learn more.
The Senior Associate (B.Next) will assist IQT Investment Partners in sourcing and screening investments, assisting in deal execution, due diligence, and taking an active role in VC networking. The Senior Associate (B.Next) also assists IQT activities related to driving specific market research in targeted technology sectors (primarily biotech, life sciences, medtech, and healthcare) with an emphasis on delivering high quality presentations and/or reports resulting from this research. The Senior Associate (B.Next) would ideally be a post-MBA or individual with prior VC, entrepreneurial, operational or startup experience in engineering biology, biotechnology, genomics, synthetic biology, biological big data, biological manufacturing and/or AI for biology. The ideal candidate will bring unmatched enthusiasm for, contributing to IQT’s mission, working with technology focused startups, and demonstrating world-class rigor in analysis and a bias towards output.
IQT’s B.Next practice pursues early stage (and, selectively, growth stage) investment opportunities across the entire engineering biology spectrum including platform technologies, applications of engineering biology, and companies at the intersection of engineering biology and other major industries. We engage with startup companies and venture capital partners to accelerate advances to strengthen economic and national security and promote technological solutions to address common global threats.
Driving specific market research projects
- Under the direction of Senior IQT team members conduct market research on specific VC backed global or domestic tech sectors
- Connect with and document prospective companies within domestic and global sectors
- Network with and talk to VC’s that invest in this target sector, sharing those findings and identified companies
- Quantitative and qualitative research in specific projects directed by Senior IQT staff
- Synthesizing research and findings into high quality and clear presentations and/or reports
- Build class-leading expertise in assigned technology areas through a rigorous effort of research and outreach to academics, entrepreneurs, and investors
Deal Sourcing & Relationship Management
- Develop and nurture a strong network of relationships with top-tier venture capitalists at the Partner, Principal, and Senior Associate levels to generate high quality and consistent deal flow for In-Q-Tel
- Constantly promote the In-Q-Tel brand within the venture community as a high-quality venture capital investor and strategic partner
- Develop external reputation and credibility within specific technology sectors of focus
- Maintain broad awareness of venture industry and technology market trends, challenges, and opportunities
- Directly support strategic investments, taking ownership of key diligence efforts
- Help guide the activities of legal, finance, technology and administrative resources towards high quality deal preparation and timely execution
- Build and sustain relationships across other In-Q-Tel groups, based on shared mission objectives and mutual respect
- Support other Investment Team Members in transaction diligence, related investment committee document preparation, and deal execution activities
- Enthusiasm for the In-Q-Tel mission
- Passion for the venture capital industry and a desire to become proficient as an investor
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. MBA, PhD, or other relevant graduate degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience
- Superior critical thinking, interpersonal, and written/verbal communication skills
- Highly motivated self-starter, able to work in unstructured environment
- Prior relevant experience in VC, investment, entrepreneurial, operating, strategic, and/or finance roles
- Ability to quickly, research, understand and assimilate new technology sectors and companies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.