Are you passionate about investing in startups? Do you enjoy working with early stage entrepreneurs?
Avanta Ventures is the venture capital team of CSAA Insurance Group (CSAA IG), a AAA insurer. We are investing in early-stage startups with the potential to be breakthrough leaders in their market segments and partnering with them for mutual benefit and growth. Avanta Ventures’ areas of investment focus include insurtech, mobility, fintech, cyber security, IoT and more.
We are seeking a highly motivated self-starter Senior Associate to join our team who will take a critical role in sourcing and closing new investments, partnering with startup companies, advancing company thought leadership, and synthesizing perspectives on the changing market landscape.
This position may be based in either Silicon Valley or New York. This position is a full time opportunity.
- Create a point of view on market developments and the startup ecosystem relevant to a P&C insurer
- Craft investment theses and research focus areas to identify new opportunities. Develop market landscapes, value chain analyses, and points of views on emerging trends
- Research and write topics for quarterly Insights Reports at a high quality level of written-communication
- Network at external events, conferences, Silicon Valley meetups, forums, etc. Evangelize Avanta Ventures externally through thought leadership; participate meaningfully in Avanta Ventures-sponsored startup ecosystem events
- Identify and source relevant investment opportunities in strategic and ground-breaking startups
- Create due diligence plans, drive the due diligence process, write investment memos, and help guide startups end-to-end through the investment process
- Assist with portfolio company monitoring, reporting and feedback to Avanta Ventures’ Partners
- Improve deal pipeline and portfolio management processes, tools, and tracking
- Collaborate with portfolio companies to broker partnerships, pilots and proofs of concept with the CSAA IG ecosystem
What would make us excited about you
- Actively curious with an open-mind for disruptive technology trends, products, and business models across multiple domains
- Passionate consumer of information across a broad range of subjects and able to analyze, synthesize and influence through insights gleaned
- Detailed understanding of the high-tech startup and venture capital environment with existing relationships across the ecosystem
- Outgoing and thoughtful networker, with strong interpersonal skills to rapidly build relationships for both deal sourcing and business development purposes
- Investment acumen to effectively assess market opportunities, management teams, emerging business models, and new technologies and products
- Outstanding communication skills with a compelling, logical, and well-structured style in presentations, narrative prose, and oral arguments
- Facile in structuring business development partnerships with clear joint value propositions, business case development, business modeling, and validation
- Trusted partner, communicative, and possesses professional maturity
- Collaborative, adaptable, and flexible teammate
Required Experience & Qualifications
- MBA or equivalent work experience
- 4 total years of applicable experience
- At least 2 years’ experience in venture capital with a leading financial or corporate venture capital firm, corporate strategy, strategy consulting, or investment banking firm with a focus on technology
- BS in engineering/technical disciplines
- Successful previous investment track record of sourcing venture investments with proven strategic and financial return on investment a plus
- 2 years in a VC-backed startup a plus
Why join us
- Make a difference. We don’t just go to work. We’re a team of employees committed to AAA members, our communities and each other.
- Lifestyle. We drive strategy through innovation. We do honorable work, and we live our core beliefs.
- Recognition. We offer a total compensation package, performance bonus, 401(k) with a company match, and so much more!