Since 1983, MacArthur has made impact investments that advance equity, inclusive growth, and environmental sustainability by expanding access to capital, fueling innovation, and strengthening the social sector. Our cumulative impact investment commitments over the past 40 years total more than $750 million, supporting more than 250 mission-driven intermediaries and enterprises worldwide.
For more information on MacArthur’s impact investments program, visit https://www.macfound.org/programs/program-related-investments/.
Based in the MacArthur Foundation’s home office in Chicago, the Senior Impact Investments Officer will be a core member of the Foundation’s Impact Investments team reporting to the Director of Impact Investments. The Senior Impact Investments Officer’s principal focus will be to source, originate, and lead impact investment transactions that advance MacArthur’s philanthropic priorities and goals. An experienced investment professional, this individual will help develop and implement strategic initiatives, closely collaborating with other members of the Impact Investments team, with colleagues in other programs and areas of the Foundation, and with external partners.
To stay well-informed and represent the Foundation, the Senior Impact Investments Officer will actively participate in conferences, task forces, and other relevant events, delivering public presentations, engaging through social media, and publishing articles and blogs as appropriate.
For a full position profile, please visit https://augustleadership.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/AL-Position-Profile-SIIO-10Nov22.pdf.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Investment Strategy & Execution
- Contribute to strategy development and implementation of existing and new initiatives that further the Foundation’s programs and priorities
- Source, underwrite, structure, and manage a substantial docket of impact investment transactions, mainly in the U.S., and primarily through funds and intermediaries
- Manage external consultants for underwriting, due diligence, and portfolio monitoring, as well as other partner relationships
- Work closely with the Portfolio Manager and members of the Legal, Grants Management, and Finance teams to coordinate investment closings, subsequent disbursements, and the ongoing monitoring of investments
- Prepare oral and written reports for the Foundation’s Impact Investments Committee and full Board of Directors
- Provide thought leadership and amplify the Foundation’s profile through speaking engagements, social media, blog posts, articles and other activities
- Maintain regular and constructive contact with investees to assess progress
- Represent the Foundation on Limited Partner Advisory Councils (LPACs) of funds in which the Foundation has invested or similar bodies as required
- Provide information and informal assistance to other impact investors and capital-seekers
- Build, manage and deepen diverse stakeholder relationships
- Provide advice and guidance to other Staff at the Foundation as requested and appropriate
- Partner with members of the Communications team to help raise visibility and awareness of the Foundation’s impact investment activity
- An MBA or equivalent credential
- 7-10+ years of private market investment experience, including transaction leadership, sourcing, origination, and management
- U.S. investment experience essential; emerging markets/development finance a plus
- Specific experience with impact investing, philanthropy, or related fields strongly preferred
- Outstanding quantitative, financial, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and be solution oriented
- Proven capacity to develop and execute complex, mission-driven transactions
- Excellent written, verbal and visual communication skills
- Knowledge of racial equity issues within an investment context
- Excellent judgment and high professional standards
- Committed to the mission and values of the Foundation
- A positive attitude and team orientation
- Open to people who hold diverse views and an active listener
- Broad interests and a solid grasp of the Foundation’s work; eager to learn and work across a diverse range of issues and problems
- Highly collaborative but also able to work independently
- Comfortable managing multiple projects in a highly reliable and effective manner; also, comfortable working with a wide range of investment challenges and impact opportunities (e.g., varying geographies, sectors, investment types, and asset classes)
- Well-organized with proven ability for high-quality, fast-paced work; able to manage assignments efficiently and meet deadlines consistently
HOW TO APPLY
August Leadership, a global firm with a leading Social Impact/Non-profit practice has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Leading the search is Nicole Kamaleson, Partner leading the Social Impact Practice area in the firm. She will be supported by a team of principals, consultants and researchers.
To make recommendations or to express your interest, please send an email to MacArthurFoundation@augustleadership.com.
All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential. When you are ready to submit your completed application, please send an email with your compelling cover letter (addressing motivation and suitability per the above role specifications) and CV/resume.