This position advises entrepreneurial faculty, alumni, and students and helps them connect with resources they need, including each other, to take ideas from launch to growth. The Assistant Director of Venture Growth leverages experience in venture capital or raising money as a startup to design and implement the launched and scaling programming sequence for the center in pursuit of strong growth among the startup portfolio.
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week. Many Skandalaris events and programs are held in the evenings and on weekends, thereby requiring hours/activities outside the normal workday as needed.
This position is in the Department of Entrepreneurship Center. The position is located at Mallinckrodt. This position is for the Danforth Campus. The work environment is primarily an office setting with frequent events/programs where transporting of lightweight (15lbs) materials/tables/etc. will be required. Work will be conducted at both the Danforth and Medical School campuses and occasionally off-campus.
For the full job description and to apply, visit jobs.wustl.edu Job ID 51689.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet with Washington University affiliates to assist in growing and scaling promising ideas and opportunities; help to evaluate ideas and technologies; conduct feasibility reviews; connect to resources across campus, across disciplines, and in the region.
- Create and manage signature Skandalaris Competitions and Programs focused on growth and scaling such as the Global Impact Award, the WashU Venture Network (pool of Venture Capital and Angel Investors), Skandalaris I-Corps, Incubators/Accelerators, Skandalaris Startup Services, etc. Recruit ventures, judges, manage deliverables, compile data, promote and share results. Recruit students/alumni to participate in regional, national, and international startup competitions and funding opportunities
- Develop concurrent workshops, master classes, bootcamps, and programming to connect entrepreneurs and innovators in pursuit of expanding their ideas. Recruit speakers and experts to participate in Skandalaris sequences.
- Manage existing and build new relationships, including sponsorships, with firms and networks that will aid in the growth of WashU startups. Ensure ongoing and accurate collection of data and metrics are being pulled into the CRM and develop functional reporting systems and dashboards for the Center leadership and operation teams. Assist with data collection for rankings and other reporting needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Undergraduate degree in business or scientific discipline and three years of relevant experience, including practical business experience in new venture formation and growth or venture capital/private equity.
- Graduate degree in business or scientific discipline to complement undergraduate degree.
- Experience in a scientific laboratory or clinic.
- Experience in startup environment as founder, team member, or consultant.
- Experience in venture capital or private equity.
- Knowledge and experience in commercialization process.
- Expertise in AirTable and CRM development.
- Self-starter with knowledge of startups and entrepreneurial development; experience running and envisioning programs and support structures for ideation.
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines with varying degrees of pressure.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Superior interpersonal skills and leadership skills.
- Desire to work in environment of growth and change.
- Demonstrated ability to make public presentations.
- Commitment to exceptional service and responsiveness.
- Ability to write well, learn quickly, and exercise exceptional ethical behavior and judgment.
- Strong collaborator and team player with an enthusiastic and positive attitude, who can promote collaborative activity.
Base pay commensurate with experience.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
If interested, please apply here.