Venturing is integral to enriching BP’s Innovation landscape. BP Ventures has a track record of investing in disruptive innovation, creating value for BP across dynamic markets. Since 2007 Ventures will have invested over $450 million across 40 different entities, co-investing with more than 60 corporate and institutional venture capital groups and leveraging 6-7 times Research and Development (R&D )value ($2.5bn).
Our investments span 4 broad sectors, covering a range of specialized emerging technologies and business models that are strategic to BP. Our investments cover:
- BP core businesses including Oil and Gas, Downstream
- Energy Transition including mobility, bio-products, digital, low carbon capture,
The European portfolio includes investments in the UK, Israel, and main-land Europe, with a portfolio of ~$150m capital invested across >10 investments across Upstream (Fotech, Silicon Microgravity, BiSN), Downstream (Tricoya Technologies, StoreDot, Alyssum, Drover) and in Alternative Energy/Digital (Heliex, Voltaware) as well as Carbon Fund investments (Finite Carbon, PCF, FCPF) and Funds (Israeli Cleantech and Zouk), with exits from Breathing Buildings (2016) and Rocket Route (2017).
The successful role-holder will be asked to explore and develop the portfolio in key innovation centres outside of the UK, especially in Tel Aviv, Berlin, Aberdeen and Moscow in particular.
By partnering with early- and growth-stage start-ups and the venture capital and corporate venture capital community, the BP Ventures team accelerates the development of accretive and disruptive technologies for BP. The BP Ventures team operates in highly dynamic internal and external markets, building and shaping options to create enhanced strategic and financial value for BP.
The team’s objectives include:
1. Creating strategic options to access & deploy new technologies, business models and partners ahead of the competition, for possible scaling up in the future.
2. Delivering competitive financial returns and enhancing the financial value of BP’s R&D investments through incubation.
Purpose of Role;
Reporting to the VP Business Development for Group Technology, this role is a pivotol within BP Ventures . You will be responsible for managing the team primarily to deliver in 5 key activity sets. 1) Scanning/deal origination 2) Deal structuring, negotiation, and execution 3) Portfolio management of direct and indirect investments (funds) 4) Strategic Deployments within BP of portfolio company technologies 5) Exit management.
As a strong commercial leader, you will strategically influence and manage the activity of investment delivery. Your strong track record and previous experience will allow you to quickly transfer into role and begin to make an impact.
Key accountability for this role include;
- Lead Prioritization of investment options and managing BP Ventures capex as part of the BP Ventures Leadership Team.
- Key member of the BP Ventures Leadership Team and Group Technology Business Development, Leadership Team and the Ventures Investment Committee
- Responsible for all investment term sheet and deal structure approval across the portfolio
- Delegation to execute investments in-line with agreed limits
- Lead portfolio management by nomination of board representatives. Directly holds 3-5 director seats.
- Represents shareholder during exits of portfolio companies
- Represent and promote BP Ventures at major conferences, leading on regional and sector-based conferences.
- Work with BP businesses to identify opportunities in line with strategy to improve BP competitive position.
- Lead Investment-case reviews and Investment Committee Presentations as per portfolio
- Drives Continuous Improvement Practices, benchmarking and longer-term planning.
- Drive and embed HSSE culture and behaviour across the portfolio
- Ensure all activities conducted in accordance with BP’s Code of Conduct
- Manage, coach and develop direct reports, co-create development plans, succession planning and people management plans for appropriate Ventures Principals/Associates and Group Techniology/Energy Frontiers people plans
- PhD and MBA or equivalent preferred as this role requires strong technical, commercial, and financial skills
- Ability to understand and interpret technical data, properly controlled experiments, timelines, and feasibility of scale up from bench to commercial.
- Strong Financial skills required, including financial modelling. With preference to expertise in modelling specific to venture capital.
- Deep expertise in venture equity term sheet deal terms and structures.
- Demonstrated track record of negotiating complex multi-stakeholder deals.
- Significant board experience required from early stage to commercial scale.
- Experienced in presenting and negotiating with C-Suite stakeholders.
- A strong team player able to interact with key players across the Group.
- An entrepreneurial flair and a track record of working outside of traditional boundaries and norms.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and respond to changing requirements
- Ability to work in an uncertain and ambiguous business environment with few precedents
- Manages several activity streams with conflicting priorities.
- Good presentation skills and ability to communicate complex data effectively
- The ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Able to work across cross-cultural boundaries as part of a global team.
- Willingness to challenge and question the status quo
If interested, please apply here.