Teralys Capital is the largest fund-of-funds dedicated to venture and innovation in Canada, with more than $1.6B in assets under management. The fund invests primarily in information technology and life sciences. Co-founded by Jacques Bernier, a serial entrepreneur and investor who helped shape the Canadian technology innovation scene, and Eric Legault, who was in charge of the venture capital program at Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec, Teralys has a very entrepreneurial culture, and its mission is to back the best VC firms in order to propel outstanding technology entrepreneurs to successfully innovate, grow and bring game changing ideas to the world. The Firm is based in Montréal and invests in venture and growth equity funds across Canada, in the United States, and in Europe. Its portfolio is composed of successful Canadian funds like Georgian Partners, iNovia Capital, Novacap Partners, and US and Europe-based franchises such as Clarus Ventures, Versant Ventures and Sofinnova Partners. Teralys also has a direct investing practice, making growth and late stage investments in tech and life sciences companies such as Luxury Retreats (acquired by Airbnb), Lightspeed POS, WorkFusion, eSentire, Vision Critical, Freshbooks and Zymeworks (listed on NYSE and TSX).
• Track and summarize key venture capital market activities and drivers;
• Participate in Teralys quarterly reporting activities (reports on dealflow, funds and fund managers, key underlying portfolio companies, and other key developments);
• Assist in the identification, selection and review of potential investment
• Contribute to due diligence activities, including business review of each underlying portfolio companies, financial performance modeling, legal documentation, and assist in negotiations and discussions with other investors;
• Maintain internal performance tracking databases;
• Monitor key performance drivers and proactively identify potential difficulties or non-compliance issues with portfolio funds or fund managers;
• Review underlying portfolio companies to assess their progress, return potential and valuation, including in-depth review of key business and financial activities;
• Conduct special projects with a focus on those requiring macro or micro economic analysis.
Qualifications required for the role:
• Good analytical capabilities to review funds’ track records and companies’ financial statements
• Experience or deep interest in technology investing (IT, life sciences and/or cleantech) and venture capital;
• Strong interpersonal skills to build and manage relationships with fund managers;
• Strong work ethic, with a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and perform under limited supervision;
• Ability to synthesize information and articulate points of view in a collegial environment conducive to teamwork;
• Strong communication skills, with a clear ability to successfully interact with Teralys’ clients, its committees, and the broader stakeholder base;
• Experience across Canada and/or internationally is an asset;
• Fully bilingual in English and French (written and verbal).
If interested, Please submit your resume to Sarah Pisonero (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than May 18, 2018.