ODF is a community for early-stage founders. Our affiliated seed & pre-seed fund invests in founders within the community. As an Analyst, your primary role will be to decide who is admitted to the community, and to be our front line in surfacing deals for the fund.
Key work will include screening inbound founders, conducting interviews and reference checks (as well as coordinating other members of our team in doing the same), helping us get founders excited about On Deck’s offering in 1:1 calls and public events, and helping us further scale and operationalize our admissions process. You will also have the opportunity to work with the investing team on individual deals.
This role is fully remote (we do have a preference for candidates located in startup hubs and connection to the startup ecosystem). You will report directly to Charles Cushing, the Director of ODF, and work closely with Erika Batista, our fund GP. We are empowering the most ambitious people in the world to build the future. Details below.
About On Deck:
On Deck Founders (ODF) is a highly selective community of early-stage founders.
By connecting with peers, founders in ODF can accelerate the process of validating an idea, finding co-founders, acquiring early customers, finding investors, and more. You can read about founder outcomes in ODF here.
Some proud highlights from the last 4 years:
- Founders in the On Deck community have launched >1,000 companies
- On Deck companies have raised >$2B in capital and are collectively worth >$10B
- Co-founders of 225+ companies met each other at On Deck.
See here for more about the On Deck Founders community, our supporters and investors as well as our wall of love.
- You will be an essential part of the On Deck Founders team and our Investment team. You will report directly to Charles Cushing (Director of ODF) and work closely with our investing team, including David Booth (CEO) and Erika Batista (GP, On Deck Fund).
- You will be the primary person responsible for selecting and curating our founder community. This includes reviewing applications, interviewing, and closing candidates for ODF, as well as coordinating other team members to do the same. You will have the opportunity to meet and learn from hundreds of current and future founders. In our most recent program, we had 2,500+ applications and interviewed 400+ founder candidates over a period of 10 weeks.
- You will be responsible for helping us define, maintain, and evolve our admissions standards, and for ensuring we are running our admissions process with the utmost fairness, transparency, and rigor.
- You will be our first line of defense in surfacing promising potential founders and deals to our fund team. You will be invited to learn about the investing process for companies you like, and can begin developing your taste and credentials as an investor.
- With the help of our revenue operations team, you will optimize how people learn about On Deck through the application, interview and offer process for the On Deck Founders Fellowship.
- You will support other teams like marketing and product to refine our offerings to better support founders.
Who you are:
- You love trying new technology, keep up with startup trends and news, and are already familiar with the foremost startups, VCs, and other personalities of Silicon Valley’s early-stage startup game.
- You are willing and able to cultivate a keen eye for founder talent, and make hard decisions about who belongs in our community.
- You are open-minded and excited to elevate talented founders from many different backgrounds and belief systems.
- You have high agency and are hungry for ownership. You thrive in environments that are fast-paced, autonomous, scrappy, and occasionally ambiguous.
- You want experience as both an operator or an investor, and are looking for a role that gives you credentials in both.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree or have equivalent work experience.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and are comfortable striking up conversation with lots of different kinds of people.
- You are good with data, know your way around Google Sheets and Airtable, and can perform basic analysis quickly.
- You embody the On Deck community’s Spirit of Service; you think about how you can give before you take, and seek opportunities to support your team and those around you.
We don’t require these things to apply, but they help:
- Experience working in a high-growth or early-stage startup
- Experience founding your own company or seeking capital (whether or not you were successful)
- Experience working with startup investors — angels, VCs, campus funds, etc.
- Any kind of published presence — a newsletter, Twitter account, etc. where you have existing reach
Why you might be excited to work at On Deck:
- We’re tackling a big problem with even bigger potential. Participants in our existing Fellowships say great things about us.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. On Deck is a fully remote company.
- On Deck is a growing company that prizes individual ownership. You will have an opportunity to shape the future, and you will have autonomy to propose and carry through your own ideas and initiatives.
- We’re backed by a who’s who of the biggest names in the venture investing world, including Founders Fund, Village Global, Marc Andreessen, Keith Rabois, Chris Dixon, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more. )
Why you might not be excited by us:
- We are a fast pace and scrappy company with about 50 people. If you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you.
- We’re an early-stage startup. Projects and priorities may shift, and there is sometimes uncertainty and friction. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
If you were to join On Deck, we’d want you to love it. We also know that it can be hard to tell from the outside looking in whether that would be the case for you. So, we challenged ourselves to develop an honest set of reasons someone wouldn’t want to join our company. We call them our Non-Values. We hope it helps you make an informed decision about whether On Deck is a place you’d love to work.
- This role comes with competitive compensation and stock options.
- Our team works remotely, and we are excited about candidates globally. Our team works on GMT-7 PST-friendly hours (west coast USA).
- We are flexible on start date, but as always, eager for someone to start as soon as possible.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
On Deck is an equal-opportunity employer dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We strongly encourage applications who are members of underrepresented communities to apply.
On Deck is a fully distributed team and everyone works remotely. As such, we are unable to assist with visa or work authorization support. By applying you are representing that you are legally authorized to work in your country of residence. If you are hired, you will be required to provide documentation of your identity and eligibility for employment in your country of residence during the hiring process.