Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most. Visit http://www.ifc.org
IFC’s Telecom, Media, Technology (TMT) Group within the Infrastructure Department invests in private sector companies globally. IFC’s TMT Group has a track record of successful investments in mobile telephony companies, submarine cables, broadband networks, independent tower companies and data centers. IFC’s TMT Group is unique for both its regional and global prospective on the TMT space, long-term approach to investments, ability to leverage the resources of the entire World Bank Group, as well as its commitment to maximizing the value of its portfolio companies through sustained assistance. The Global TMT group sits within the Infrastructure and Natural Resources Department (INR), which has created a Global Upstream Unit (GUU) to drive the upstream mandate to incubate TMT opportunities, focus resources, and coordinate initiatives across IFC and the WBG to create new markets. Ultimately, the unit aims to create a multiyear pipeline of bankable programs / projects.
The Global TMT group is looking for a Washington DC based Senior Investment Officer to support its new business sourcing, sector strategy, and investment activities globally. The selected candidate is expected to report to the Global TMT Manager, proactively supporting the group’s mandate to deepen the scope, reach and impact of the global investments in the TMT sector by leading a series of activities including but not limited to: i) develop existing and new global strategic sector relationships in the TMT sector, ii) source opportunity for collaboration with global sponsors and propose concrete project opportunities which may be implemented at regional levels, iii) understand the needs and objectives of the global sponsors and strategic counterparts, and develop / structure solutions which address market needs, iv) work with the GUU where relevant to structure enabling solutions to bridge market needs, v) oversee/ provide support to the origination and project execution activities of the regional investment teams as needed, providing sector specific insights and structuring support, including leading transaction teams if applicable, vi) provide support to the portfolio teams in the supervision/ management of portfolio assets, with sector insights and expertise – including through appointments as IFC nominee board director as needed, vi) oversee the work and provide mentoring if applicable for the direct reports assigned.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Promote IFC’s investments in the TMT sector globally;
- Build a strategy for engagements with global strategic sponsors and counterparts to be implemented within the Global TMT team;
- Maintain and build new global strategic relationships for the Global TMT team;
- Be a primary contact point for strategic initiatives involving global sponsors, and actively lead structuring efforts to enable collaboration opportunities with strategic sponsors;
- Understand the needs and objectives of the global sponsors and strategic counterparts, and develop / structure solutions which address market needs; if applicable in coordination with GUU to incubate opportunities, secure resources, and coordinate initiatives across IFC and the WBG to create new markets, with the objective of broadening the scope, reach and impact of the global investments in the TMT space;
- Help develop and implement innovative and appropriate financial structures for transactions in the TMT sector;
- Identify and support the execution of viable investment transactions which maximize development impact as well as profitability; providing transaction support to regional team as needed which shall include conducting company due diligence, valuation, financial analysis, and transaction structuring;
- Oversee/ support the work of the Investment Officers acting as regional focal points where applicable;
- Develop and implement TMT sub-sector strategies where applicable, and provide support to the INR investment teams in the structuring of transactions;
- Oversee as supervisor the work of Global TMT staff as applicable;
- Lead project teams, mentor and develop junior staff;
- Lead market intelligence gathering for the global TMT staff to stay informed of emerging trends in TMT sub-sectors in various countries; Identify business models and opportunities for new approaches that can accelerate private sector participation and development impact within a region;
- Provide support to the portfolio teams in the supervision/ management of portfolio assets, with sector insights and expertise – including through appointments as IFC nominee board director;
- Maintain relationships with clients and other stakeholders (government, development partners, WBG) who are at a level where they can influentially participate in developing immediate and future business opportunities;
- Work closely with the INR regional departments to deliver IFC’s investment targets and development impact.
- At least 10+ years of investment experience with a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring, negotiating and closing deals;
- Experience in investment banking, private equities or infrastructure funds preferred;
- Experience overseeing the work of more junior staff a plus;
- MBA or equivalent qualification;
- Experience as board director of investee companies a plus;
- Knowledge of the TMT sectors; equity investment and/or project finance is essential;
- Ability to review the financial analytical work performed by team members for complex transactions based on in-depth analytical and financial modeling skills and experience to know what to look for in efficiently ensuring quality control and directing the appropriate analysis to understand risk factors in a project;
- Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners;
- Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to work with a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and equity);
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, technical partners and senior government officials;
- Ability to build, maintain and strategically leverage extensive network amongst different geographies focused private equity funds, commercial and investment banks, investment advisors and strategic investors to open doors for new venture opportunities;
- Successful candidates should have the ability to work in a multi-country team, to actively be involved in multiple projects and to mentor/ supervise junior staff;
- Capacity to understand, enable, and participate in market creation opportunities for multiple countries by demonstrating long-term perspective, open-mindedness, persistence, innovation, and ability to leverage all available tools (including de-risking tools); good understanding of the roles and value-add of IFC and WBG in new markets;
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development;
- Willingness to travel extensively;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Ability to describe complex issues, approaches, and lessons in a manner that is relevant and understandable to clients/stakeholders. Fluency in Spanish/ Portuguese/ French/Arabic is a plus.
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.
If interested, please apply here.