Kapor Capital is seeking to hire a Principal to be a member of the investment team and work closely with the partners. This is a partner track position. Candidates should have successful full-time experience working in venture capital. Other previous entrepreneurial and/or investment experience of any kind is a significant plus, especially if related to information technology.
- Source new investment opportunities: research prospective startups and connect with entrepreneurs
- Evaluate investment opportunities: meet with founders and management teams, conduct market research, and financial and customer due diligence all within the context of gap-closing, venture scale, tech-driven businesses.
- Co-lead new investments, and join the deal team of existing portfolio companies
- Lead various ecosystem building activities related to supporting entrepreneurs pre and post funding, individually, by segments and as a portfolio (e.g. suggest and organize workshops on key topics such as UX, recruiting diverse talent, how to create a welcoming working environment, etc…)
- Interact with entrepreneurs, advisors, clients, financial organizations, lawyers, Diversity and Inclusion experts, and non-profits on behalf of the firm
- Represent Kapor Capital at relevant start-up, social impact and/or sector specific conferences and events. This includes being able to talk about our approach to D&I, as well as to talk about activities going on at SMASH (Summer Math and Science Honors Academy) and Kapor Center.
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- 4-8 years of relevant work experience, including, but not limited to past experience working at technology startups, incubators or accelerators
- At least 2 years of previous venture capital experience, preferably at an early stage venture firm
- Familiarity with venture capital financing structures and practices, e.g. convertible debt and equity
- Shared commitment to social impact and supporting entrepreneurs, especially from underrepresented backgrounds and those building companies that close gaps of access and/or opportunity for low-income communities and/or communities of color.
- An inquisitive personality, able to gather and synthesize information, and draw meaningful conclusions.
- Commitment to changing the tech ecosystem to make it more welcoming to entrepreneurs, investors, and others from all backgrounds.
Nice to Have
- Previous experience in one of our investment focus areas; EdTech, FinTech, HealthIT, or People Ops Tech
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically with entrepreneurs, co-investors and other members of the startup ecosystem
- Strong interpersonal, communication and people management skills
- Excellent business research skills
- BA/BS or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to work in Oakland, CA once the office reopens
If interested, please apply here.