At Expa we’re dedicated to being the best place for entrepreneurs to create and build companies. Expa was founded in 2013 by Uber co-founder Garrett Camp to help bring great ideas to life. We’re builders, founders, and operators ourselves, know the struggles that come with starting a new company, and what it takes to succeed. We support entrepreneurs with more than just funding — we offer a valuable network, office space, and our advice and expertise.
Crucial to our success, we’re hiring a Principal based on the West Coast, preferably in the San Francisco Bay Area or Los Angeles, who will be responsible for helping us identify the next generation of great entrepreneurs, support our existing portfolio companies, and grow our Expa network. We’re searching for someone who has a strong grasp of startup investing, can take responsibility for all aspects of the deal process, and can serve as a financial and fundraising point person for our existing portfolio companies. A relationship builder, our Principal will help expand Expa’s network and closely follow local developments in the tech and VC world.
Expa is a tight-knit, cross-functional team that avoids politics, moves quickly and supports one another. We are growing our team of like-minded individuals who share an ethos of empathy, service, and curiosity.
- Help Expa find great entrepreneurs
- Understand investment trends and develop a pipeline of companies for investment and partnerships
- Identify companies and technologies of interest to Expa for early stage investments.
- Lead and coordinate all aspects of the investment process including deal sourcing, financial modeling, market research, due diligence, negotiation and presentations for new and follow-on investments.
- Keep up to date and have an interest in the developments and trends in tech and the VC world
- Support existing entrepreneurs
- Draw on your own and the team’s expertise and network to support portfolio companies where possible
- Build close working relationships with founding teams of portfolio companies
- Manage complex situations within the portfolio including performance management, follow-on rounds, and exits
- Monitor financial health and viability of portfolio companies and present options on addressing investment concerns and/or exit strategies, where applicable.
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with VCs, entrepreneurs, advisors, and the Expa community, in addition to the broader tech community
- Be a representative and champion for Expa, deepening our network and strengthening our position in the ecosystem
- 4+ years previous experience, preferably financial/investment experience (e.g., venture capital, private equity, banking, consulting) and/or management/operational experience (e.g., operational startup experience, business development)
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA preferred
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Driven, self-starter with the ability to work both independently and in a team setting
- A strong passion for tech investing and knowledge of the VC ecosystem
If interested, please apply here.