Hitachi ABB Power Grids is a pioneering technology leader that is helping to increase access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all. We help keep your lights on, the factories running, our hospitals and schools open. Come as you are and prepare to get better as you learn from others. Bring your passion, bring your energy, and plug into a team that appreciates a simple truth: Diversity + Collaboration = Innovation
Hitachi ABB Power Grids is seeking a Venturing Lead for its San Jose, California location. This role is responsible for leading Power Grids start-up and Venture Capital (VC) fund investments on behalf of Power Grids. Ensures that Power Grids is an active and respected player in the electricity related start-up eco-system. Facilitates the delivery of value from the start-up and VC fund investments into the Business Lines and vice versa by driving collaboration.
- Pro-actively build & maintain a network of external contacts in the electricity start-up eco-system
- Work with the Business Lines to identify a prioritized short-list of areas where start-up investments would bring strategic value
- Continually maintain a ranked list of attractive start-ups in each of the prioritized areas
- Close direct investments in a small number of start-ups annually. Ensure that there is a robust collaboration plan agreed in parallel with the investment (between the start-up and the Business Line)
- Actively manage the direct investments in the portfolio, ensure that the Business Lines are actively collaborating with the start-up in line with the agreed collaboration plan.
- Seek to resolve issue with the start-up and / or the collaboration plan as they arise.
- Identify & document market, competition and business models learnings and share with the wider Power Grids
- In addition to direct investment Power Grids should also make investments in clean tech / electricity industry focused funds, candidate funds should be identified and Due Diligence should be performed.
- Actively manage the portfolio of VC fund investments, seek to develop strategic collaboration between the other strategic LPs, the start-ups in the fund’s portfolio and the Power Grids Business Lines
- Actively seek & share strategic learning from the other strategic LPs
- Ensure that the portfolio delivers a positive financial return (greater than Power Grids cost of Capita) , whilst maximizing the strategic benefits
- Bachelors Degree in Business, Finance, Engineering, or technology related degree and minimum 3 years’ experience of VC investing in B2B start-ups.
- Candidate must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for Hitachi ABB Power Grids in the United States.
- Masters in business/finance preferred.
- Venture Capital investing experience directly and via VC funds
- Experience leading and performing technical and financial Due Diligence of start-ups and VC funds
- Ability to network effectively inside and outside of Hitachi ABB Power Grids
- Strong written and oral communication
- Ability to understand & work with VC Term Sheets and legal documents
- Ability to develop business forecasts and valuation models in Excel
IF interested, please apply here.