VMware’s Strategy & Corporate Venture team provides a unique blend of experience and exposure. On one hand it gives you the opportunity to work closely with company leadership to define and develop strategy as an in-house strategy consultant, while on the other hand it allows you to be a venture capital investor, through VMware’s corporate venture arm. If you are looking for the excitement and challenges of a strategy consultant and a VC, with a front row seat to the cutting-edge technologies, this role is right for you.
Success in the Role: What are some notable accomplishments within the 12-week internship program?
The primary objective of this position is to keep track of emerging technology and market trends, understand their implications to VMware’s future, and use that knowledge to influence VMware’s strategy and prepare for the future by leveraging external innovation. Individuals in this role track and participate in emerging trends through strategy projects and through strategic venture investments.
- Within the first month of the program, become familiar with VMware various lines of business and products. This period will also give you exposure to the various processes and best practices within the team.
- By the second month of the program, gain expertise in an initial set of domains that are relevant to VMware. You will develop landscapes, estimate market sizes, identify key and emerging players, and trends across various categories within the domains. During this period, you will also get to engage with start-ups and develop an understanding of the investment process.
- At the end of the internship, present to the executive team on your summer strategic project for VMware and investments.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Develop a keen understanding of, and monitor key technology and market trends in specific areas of interest to VMware.
- Maintain firm view of market landscape of industry participants. This includes emerging startup companies, market shares, relative competitive advantage, and business models.
- Apply creative problem-solving skills to strategic questions; deliver analytically rigorous insights derived from data, to support strategic direction and prioritization.
- Work collaboratively across organizations to support cross-company strategy efforts; lead key strategic initiatives spanning strategic planning, growth strategy, and new business development.
- Support the full lifecycle of investment and strategic business development deals; develop strategic rationale, source deals, create business cases, conduct company and industry due diligence to support investment or business development opportunities.
- Specific technology areas you will focus on include:
- Compute, networking, storage, security, management and mobility
- Enterprise data center and cloud infrastructure
- Application development, integration, deployment, lifecycle management
- Cloud based developer, IT and application services
What skills would be helpful in making this a successful internship?
- 1st Year MBA student with an undergraduate STEM degree
- Experience working at a top management consulting firm, investment banking firm, private equity firm or technology company in a product management/product development role
- Demonstrated passion for technology landscape and deep understanding of key industry trends
- Exceptional analytical abilities and data driven decision-making
- Ability to develop and present compelling business cases in a persuasive and engaging manner
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
You will be joining the Strategy & Corporate Ventures headed by a VP. The team is comprised of members at the Senior Director, Director, Senior Manager, Manager, Sr. Associate and Associate levels.
The team culture is based on a self-driven and initiative-taking mindset, with ample coaching and guidance along the way to help you achieve and showcase your best self. The team also encourages and supports new and innovative ideas to do things more effectively. The team consists of a diverse group of people and encourages a global perspective on problems and solutions.
Where is this role located?
Flexible: this role is based out of VMware’s Palo Alto office and open to candidates in the surrounding area. Work will be done from an office some days during a week and other days from a non-VMware building.
- Intern relocation assistance will be provided if eligible per VMware’s intern program eligibility guidelines.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
As an Intern, you will be supported with a comprehensive benefits package. You can view the complete intern benefits package by visiting http://www.benefits.vmware.com.
Please note that while anyone with a legal right to work in the U.S. may apply for this role, VMware is not presently sponsoring work visas for the entry-level roles for which these Internships may prepare you.
This position is available to currently enrolled 1st year MBA-level students only. The internship will be a 12-week, full-time commitment during Summer 2022.
Due to the Biden Administration issuing an Executive Order (EO) that effectively mandates COVID-19 vaccination for all U.S. based employees of federal contractors and subcontractors, all U.S. based VMware employees will be required to have their final vaccination dose (e.g., second dose of Pfizer or Moderna, or single dose of J&J) by January 4, 2022. Specifically, this means that all U.S. based VMware employees will need to be fully vaccinated by January 18th, 2022, or by their first date of employment if after that date, subject to legally required accommodations.
If interested, please apply here.