Founded in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as “a16z”) is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California, that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to late-stage technology companies, across the consumer, enterprise, bio/healthcare, crypto, and fintech spaces. a16z has $19.2B in assets under management across multiple funds, including the $1.4B Bio funds, the $3.1B Crypto funds, and the Cultural Leadership Fund.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the entrepreneurial company building process. We’ve invested in companies like Airbnb, Apeel, Coinbase, Figma, Freenome, Instacart, Lyft, Slack, and Stripe. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping entrepreneurs and their companies impact and change the world.
a16z is seeking to recruit a Deal Analyst to join the firm’s Crypto team. The successful candidate will work closely with General Partners and Deal Partners meeting entrepreneurs, developing a point of view, and ensuring the rest of the team is up to speed on the latest developments in a fast-moving space. You should be passionate about crypto, and work to build a network of the best entrepreneurs, engineers, and subject matter experts in the space.
The primary goal of the crypto team is to find and invest in bold entrepreneurs building the best protocols, companies, and DAOs.
- Source investment opportunities. You are expected to invest first and foremost in relationships. This includes proactive involvement in the crypto community — attending industry events, meeting with upstream investors, and cultivating university/corporate networks to find entrepreneurs and access deal flow
- Develop a sharp investment point of view on categories and companies. Build and defend an informed thesis for why we should invest in a company or segment. This thesis should be supported by a deep analysis of both broad industry trends and granular data.
- Evaluate prospective investments: Assist in conducting a detailed and comprehensive review of the people, products, technologies, go-to-market plan, competitive position, and other relevant information to maximize chances of success for any investment we make.
- Maintain industry awareness. Develop a network of sources and information to ensure up-to-date understanding of the crypto industry. This includes growing a network of subject matter experts and leveraging an in-house data science team. This also includes interacting with non-crypto companies to understand their strategy, and the opportunities & challenges that presents to startups in this space.
To Join Our Team, You Should Be Excited To
- Build and cultivate long-term relationships
- Demonstrate passion about the Crypto space; fascinated with the startup ecosystem, new markets, and new ways of doing things
- Display intellectual commitment to discover what others do not
- Synthesize vast amounts of data and resolve what really matters
- Quantitative analysis; observe retention rates and customer cohorts
- Sift through large customer data sets to identify strengths and weaknesses of a startup
- 2–4+ years of experience working in crypto or tech as an engineer, designer, data scientist, product manager, researcher, or consultant
- Genuine intellectual curiosity, the ability to learn new facts and concepts quickly and comprehensively, then explain those facts & concepts to other people succinctly
- Ability to synthesize complex information, form a sharp point of view, and communicate it in a relevant way to different audiences
- Effective communications skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to juggle multiple items and work on tight deadlines
- Desire and proven ability to learn new domains and technologies quickly
- Energetic positive attitude
- Deeply optimistic conviction about the future of crypto and the Internet
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.
If interested, please apply here.