VC Associate @ Asymmetry Ventures
Asymmetry Ventures is a Seed VC Fund & Syndicate (3.4k+ Angels, $50M+ Deployed) known for our Deep Tech Investments with Sci-Fi Flavor, based in San Francisco.
OUR INVESTMENT THESIS
“Back scalable early-stage companies that attain exceptional defensibility through their obsessive focus on execution.”
The VC Associate will work closely with the Asymmetry team to prepare investment analyses for early-stage companies that we are considering for investment from the firm. Attention to detail and reliable task completion under deadline are paramount for this role, to accommodate our demanding pace of dealflow and the rapid turnarounds required to execute investments into fast-moving rounds. The VC Associate will have the following duties:
● Development of high-conviction theses on investment opportunities, based on analysis of startup fundamentals & market conditions.
● Preparation of highly detailed investment analyses of the strongest deals. ● Ability to translate complicated topics into easily digestible language.
● Ability to write memorable, creative headlines & exquisitely crafted journalistic deal memos.
● Utter reliability in meeting deadlines, responding to edits, and working collaboratively. ● May occasionally assist the Asymmetry team with various steps of the broader investment process, from sourcing deals to screening & due diligence.
The VC Associate must be an exceptionally skilled business writer. We’re looking for candidates who have prior experience writing opinion business or finance articles – especially investment analyses of seed-stage startups. Outstanding headline-crafting and memo-writing skills are required; we place immense weight on the ability to develop a sound investment thesis, and bring it to life in an extremely persuasive and detail-oriented memo. Substantial prior experience writing investment memos at a venture capital firm is a huge plus – as is wide knowledge of multiple sectors, industries, and technology areas.
Candidates should have at least a few years of work experience — preferably in tech and/or investing. We are seeking candidates with the following additional traits:
● High level of comfort with, & proven track record in, working under very tight deadlines.
● A solid understanding of venture investing, particularly at the seed stage. ● Exceptional ability to produce accurate, convincing analytical writing that invokes a mix of quantitative measures and a lively journalistic style of business storytelling. ● Superior grammatical skills – and meticulous attention to detail.
● Bonus points to candidates with substantial prior experience writing investment memos within a venture capital context.
The position will be a part-time, remote contract role position. Hours are flexible and vary week by week, depending on Asymmetry dealflow and Associate’s availability.
WHO YOU ARE
Likely candidate profiles include those with a track record of exceptional business writing and who are looking to break into Venture Capital. The ideal applicant will appreciate the opportunity to make instrumental contributions to the core work of a VC firm, and value this chance to gain first-hand experience within the venture industry, while maintaining the career freedom to pursue their other professional, academic, or entrepreneurial activities.
This is a part-time contract position that will be compensated in carry. Each Associate receives a portion of carry for the deals they write memos on.
– One sample of your business writing (ideally, we’d love to see how you approach writing Investment Memos that evaluate seed-stage companies)
** Please upload your writing samples as a single PDF. **
We are interviewing until the position is filled.
Please apply here.