The Portfolio Manager is a part of the American Express Ventures team based in New York, NY (no relocation assistance offered). The Amex Ventures team plays a key role in developing and executing long-term corporate strategic initiatives which contribute to American Express’ market leadership and growth. The team invests in innovative startups to accelerate American Express’ efforts in consumer commerce, B2B services and to enhance core capabilities such as data analytics and security. Team members work with senior management, C-level executives and business leaders across the company to execute equity investments, both domestically and internationally.
The team also initiates and executes non-organic business development and strategic initiatives.
Job Responsibilities: In this exciting opportunity, the incumbent will be an integral part of the Ventures group with an emphasis on formalizing deal execution, deal structuring and portfolio management processes. This emphasis will include the development & ongoing management of a center of excellence that will facilitate scalable growth of the investment portfolio, requiring knowledge in both venture investing and building frameworks. This role also includes the development of strategic investment thesis areas, as well as the evaluation and execution of new investment opportunities.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Creating, implementing and managing a center of excellence for deal execution, deal structuring and portfolio management processes
- Act as the team’s subject matter expert for navigating the deal process, adjusting deal terms, resolving diligence issues and related items
- Seek out best practices in market to improve processes and form deep understanding of Amex investment requirements through collaboration with internal partners
Candidate will also be expected to:
- Developing investment thesis around strategic areas and conduct market and industry analysis
- Actively involved in the full lifecycle management of deal pipeline including sourcing, evaluating, transacting, and managing investments
- Proactively identifying potential investments, meeting and qualifying startups; develop strong relations with the venture and entrepreneurial communities
- Evaluating potential target company’s and business cases from strategic, operational and financial valuation perspectives
- Providing key analysis and support for transactions and working closely with internal and external partners to execute investments
- Developing detailed financial models and related valuations
- Preparing and communicating recommendations to investment team
- Responsible for ongoing monitoring and managing relationships with investment companies and the investment portfolio review process
- Responsible for maintaining and managing the Ventures Portfolio database and support Finance / Legal / Compliance teams
- The role is a multi-faceted one and requires both analytical, strategic, and interpersonal skill sets
- 4-6 years previous experience in venture capital, investment banking, strategic consulting or operating experience at a venture-backed startup
- Strategic skills, with the ability to identify and assess key points, implications and recommendations and to provide thought leadership
- Strong communication skills
- Strong financial, analytical and valuation skills; modeling experience preferred
- Proven ability to influence and collaborate with others and drive results
- Interest in strategic investments, technology, financial services and the payments industry
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA strongly preferred
If interested, please apply here.