Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing venture capital firm with 100 employees located in Boston, Manchester, NH, NYC, Chicago, SF and Austin, TX. We are disrupting VC by bringing smart, simple venture capital portfolios to the 13 million accredited American investors who don’t have venture portfolios. Our secret sauce is our connected capital of over 400,000 alumni who provide capital, source deals, and add value to portfolio companies. On an annual basis, our teams raise a fund from their respective communities to venture with strong potential and exceptional lead investors. We are private, for profit, and not part of any school.
As AVG looks forward, we seek to grow and create value – with the goal of eventually becoming the most strategically valuable venture capital firm in the world. Our new Basecamp fund focuses on pre-seed and seed investing. We are now hiring an Associate or Principal to join our Basecamp team, headquartered in NYC or SF. This is a unique opportunity to support AVG in identifying, vetting, and closing top pre-seed and seed deals within a newly launched, high-visibility investment vehicle. Reporting to the Basecamp Managing Partner, the Basecamp Associate or Principal will leverage exceptional analytical, project management, organizational, and networking skills to support the rapid growth and success of Basecamp.
This is a full-time salaried position located in AVG’s New York office and includes a comprehensive benefits package. Some travel (10-25%) will be required to execute on the responsibilities of your position. You will work with an incredibly talented group of individuals in a highly fast-pace and collaborative environment.
- Identify and research potential pre-seed and seed deal opportunities, develop and maintain deal funnel, assist with due diligence and investment committee processes, and deal closing.
- Vet potential deal opportunities that align with AVG’s investment mandate, including interviewing company teams, competitors, customers, etc.
- Support the development, documentation, and implementation of processes that improve the number of potential deals considered and the number of qualified deal opportunities available to the investment teams
- Help develop and manage regular reporting on portfolio progress by working across the AVG team to track and support proper investment operations process from due diligence through liquidity events
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about AVG Basecamp and our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Work closely with colleagues at all of AVG’s funds to identify mutually interesting investment opportunities
- Support the preparation and distribution of due diligence packages for the Investment Committee (IC)
- Present companies and work closely and collaboratively with the Basecamp Managing Partner and the AVG Office of Investing
- Help orchestrate and execute due diligence memos and IC sessions
- Assist with investor relations and potential outreach
- Assist with back-end functions as needed
- Contribute positively to AVG’s culture
In addition to being strongly motivated to build a career in venture investing, our ideal candidate has many of these traits.
- Direct venture investing experience or similar, applicable prior professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA a plus
- 3-10 years of experience in financial services/venture capital and the startup space, including specific experience sourcing deals or raising capital
Skills and strengths
- High energy and unflinching work ethic
- Entrepreneurial empathy and respect for early stage start-up founders.
- Exceptional non-transactional, long-term relationship building ability
- Strong analytical, financial analysis, organizational, and writing skills
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate, and critique a venture’s business model, market opportunity, and team
- Awareness of the venture capital community, including leading investment funds and partners, historical successes and failures
- Familiarity with typical venture capital deal structures, terms, and industry practices
- Knowledge and interest in current technology, trends, and developments
- A professional presence combined with relationship and communication skills to interact effectively with internal and external parties
- A highly-motivated, self-starter with the ability to work independently within a team context
- Demonstrated interest and experience in emerging companies, and experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Eager to learn with a passion for the impact of technology across sectors
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and execute on processes while working with diverse and/or remote stakeholders
- Can shift priorities, leverage resources, communicate, and multi-task effectively to ensure that critical objectives are met
- Can identify networking opportunities and quickly establish relationships, both internally and externally, and effectively leverage those connections to support organizational objectives
- Adept at organizing, analyzing, and reporting on data; notices and addresses important details with a high degree of accuracy
- Leverages impeccable communication skills to collaborate with and address a diverse and sophisticated audience
If interested, please apply here.