Notation is the first dedicated “pre-seed” firm in NYC. Our mission is to be the most helpful venture firm in the world for product-obsessed founding teams on day 0 of a new startup. We invest in about 8 new startups per year that tend to be tech heavy, scalable software products, often based in NYC, but more selectively in Tier 2 ecosystems such as Boston, Toronto, and LA. Six years in, we now have a portfolio of over 50 companies at various stages, from idea to Series C, and beyond.
We are currently a team of three and we plan to stay small! As a small team, we all contribute in various different ways and wear many hats – because of that, this role is ideal for someone intellectually curious, hungry to learn, and willing to support across a number of functional areas. You will help lay the groundwork for internal processes, build and manage your own deal flow & pipeline, and support the founders and companies that comprise our portfolio.
You can read more about our firm at Notation.VC or by reading our operating manual.
What You’ll Do
- Grow our network, source new deals, and qualify leads by connecting with the startup community, attending events, performing cold outreach, and driving outbound sourcing efforts.
- Build and nurture relationships with current and up-and-coming founders and CEOs in New York and beyond.
- Evaluate new startups and potential investments by meeting with founders, reviewing pitch decks, and sorting through data rooms.
- Represent Notation positively in the community by never ghosting, replying timely, and treating founder time with respect.
- Evaluate prospective investments through both a qualitative and quantitative lens by performing your own research, connecting with experts, etc.
- Present your findings to Notation’s investment team and feel comfortable delivering actionable recommendations.
- Be curious! Lead your own research efforts and share findings about industries that excite you with the Notation team.
- Grow and engage the Notation community in both bespoke and scalable ways. This includes meeting with and supporting Notation portfolio company founders and employees, the VCs that we partner with, our LPs and Community Investors, and other key stakeholders.
We’d love to hear from you (required) if you:
- Are highly motivated, gritty, and ready to meet tons of founders!
- Are well organized, detail-oriented, get sh*t done, and go above and beyond the core responsibilities of the role.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Value qualitative and quantitative insights and can use both data and creative thinking to inform your recommendations/decision-making process.
- Are eager to continuously learn about new themes, trends, and technologies.
- Are interested in a longer-term role as a VC or startup operator.
Strong preference (not required) if you have:
- Operational experience at a startup or VC firm.
- Strong experience solving problems for people and building community.
- Experience working with a CRM (e.g. Affinity), Crunchbase, and Notion.
- Part of the core team at an institutionally backed venture firm and gain exposure to all aspects of running the firm, including the investment process, portfolio management, and supporting visionary entrepreneurs and our growing community.
- Competitive salary with company 401k plan.
- We currently work remotely, but have plans to return to an office (you’ll help us choose that office!) this Spring with flexible WFH schedules and working hours.
- We offer flexible paid time off for all full-time employees (including vacation and sick days).
Please note: This position is open to applicants currently residing in the continental U.S., but will require primary residence in NYC.
We are an equal opportunity employer and diversity is critical to our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If interested, please apply here.