Job Title: Venture Capital Analyst
Start Date: June 1, 2019
Differential Venture Partners, a growing Midtown New York venture capital firm, is seeking a Venture Capital Analyst to work with and become part of our existing team. An ability to multi-task is a must. Venture capital or private equity experience is a big plus, but not required. The Analyst will report to the Firm’s Partners.
About Differential Venture Partners:
Differential Venture Partners (DVP) invests in seed and early-stage enterprise technology companies that deploy new and innovative solutions to automate, analyze, act-upon and secure the massive amounts of data being created each day, i.e., the “Future of Data.” We believe that there is a gap in early-stage funding from institutional VCs that DVP can fill. In addition, we add significant value to startups beyond just capital-our Partners include recognized experts in the fields of software development and computer science; sales and marketing strategy, implementation and management; and finance and governance. DVP is uniquely positioned to be the first institutional check into a company and to help scale our portfolio companies to the next stage of growth as we work closely with each of them.
Main Job Responsibilities:
- Review, evaluate and present information to DVP’s investment committee about incoming investment opportunities
- Curate the investment opportunity pipeline to assure that we stay in contact with those companies in which we are interested in investing and communicating our decision not to invest in others
- Work with the DVP Partners to perform due diligence evaluations of potential portfolio companies
- Help identify and execute opportunities to propel key portfolio companies to greater success. Examples include helping with key hires, business development assistance, customer introductions, financial and fundraising planning and becoming highly respected, trusted confidant to our founders.
- Help our team identify and track prospective portfolio companies and industries in which we are interested, such as applied machine learning and artificial intelligence, FinTech, Cybersecurity and others. Research trends and topics of interest to venture capital.
- Be active in the New York startup community through meet-ups, conferences and writing thought leadership pieces. Enhance DVP’s network, marketing and communications.
- Assist in financial and cap table modeling and ad hoc assignments related to financial operations, firm operations and financial reporting, as needed
- Deep interest in technology, entrepreneurship and business.
- Self-motivated, creative and highly productive. We are looking for a person with a committed work ethic who is able to envision, prioritize and complete parallel projects without requiring hands-on guidance in a fast paced, fluid environment. Excellent multitasking skills and a willingness to own your projects.
- Entrepreneurial spirit to be part of a small, informal team.
- Strong due diligence skills. Ability to (i) quickly evaluate the key questions, risks or upside to an investment opportunity, and (ii) prioritize and execute due diligence to flesh out these issues
- Strong financial analysis skills. You will be able to dive quickly into a business plan or financial model, identify and judge key drivers or vulnerabilities.
- Digital product fluency. Able to quickly assess strengths and areas of improvement.
- Technical dexterity. Ability to product manage a website and/or identify and work with technical talent to build and handle internal tools if appropriate.
- Strong business and personal judgment.
- Extraordinary written and oral communication skills.
- Strong critical thinking and discussion skills. Unafraid to advocate for and debate your opinion
- Desire and willingness to learn, give and take feedback and challenge conventional thinking.
- An ability to identify important tech trends and emerging businesses
- Exposure to venture capital or private equity investing is helpful. This experience can come through working at a venture-backed company or with a fund.
- Experience being a top 25% performer in a highly ambitious academic environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Accounting/Finance or Computer Science or Engineering
- Pre-MBA preferred
- Very strong Microsoft Excel skills are a must
- Ability to understanding and develop facility with legal documents
- Experience with start-ups a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary dependent upon experience
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Company contribution to health insurance
- Other benefits available through payroll provider
- Flexibility in case of personal needs; some telecommuting possible.
Differential Venture Partners embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Please send both a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter please (1) provide a brief analysis of two to three companies within Differential’s investment thesis i.e. seed stage, B2B SaaS, FinTech, or Cybersecurity; (2) state what would you would like to accomplish in your first 90 days in this role; and (3) tell us what you like to read.