We are looking for exceptional analysts to join our investment team. This is a great entry point for a career in venture capital and an opportunity to work at the heart of the European early-stage tech ecosystem, working first-hand with some of Europe’s leading investors and entrepreneurs to shape the future of technology.
As an analyst, you will be working closely with our investment team to help develop our thesis in specific verticals, such as fintech, enterprise software, renewable energy and healthtech amongst other areas. Your experience and personal style will shape this role as you work to develop a strong network in our key geographies and sectors, engage with entrepreneurs, and identify the most promising businesses.
In this role, you will work closely with our partnership to develop a deep understanding of specific verticals, closely monitor the ecosystem, and support the team in all aspects of due diligence and fund reporting.
You can expect the role to divide roughly into:
70% working with Partners on thesis building and market mapping:
- Analyze and track companies and sectors relevant to our investment thesis
- Develop and track key metrics in the space
- Deep dive into selected industry sectors
- Keep up to speed with the latest developments in emerging sectors
20% evaluation of new investments and market intelligence:
- Perform due diligence on potential investments
- Help the Partners and Principals build and present investment cases for potential deals, with increased ownership for your own deals over time
- Articulate clear recommendations and rationale for investments. Provide critical judgement and considered opinions
- Provide cogent analysis and due diligence, including market and competitive analysis, customer references, and financial modelling
10% contribution to our portfolio companies and the Balderton funds:
- Prepare presentations for LP (investor) meetings
- Support the General Partners on fund reporting and preparation for major events
- Analyze portfolio companies on an ongoing basis, as an aid to company building and performance
- Contribute to reviews of Balderton strategy and competition
- Support portfolio companies on specific projects and cultivate the Balderton philosophy of experience sharing across the portfolio
About Success in the Role
Markers of success after 12-24 months in the role include:
- Bringing high quality insights the team, present well-researched insights and due diligence
- Developing expertise in a sector or topic, become the known expert internally on key areas
- Proactively taking on projects to help improve our team, our work, or Balderton as a whole
- Being universally regarded as a supportive member of the team and someone people want to spend time with; you repeatedly demonstrate strong cultural alignment to our values
We know you have the skills and experience needed to succeed in this role if you have spent 1-2 years in a technology firm, strategy consulting or investment banking, in a role which demanded structure and a high degree of analytical thinking.
In addition, your experience will demonstrate that you are genuinely passionate about tech companies and the broader ecosystem.
To be the best at what you do, we believe you must possess the following functional strengths:
- Intellectually curious: you seek out and learn about ideas with the potential to shape the future
- Highly analytical and financially literate: you excel at both quantitative and qualitative analysis
- A deep passion for new technologies, business models and the European start-up ecosystem
- Self-directed: you prioritize well and deliver exceptional work with limited direction
- Persuasive: you command attention and tactfully get to a ‘yes’
- Sociable: you enjoy meeting people and learning about them; you are outgoing, insightful, and a good listener
- High EQ: you demonstrate excellent critical judgment and accurate gut feel
- Open and honest: you build trust and respect quickly
About the Balderton Fit
To fit into our team culture, you will be:
- Thoughtful and accessible: you value and respect everyone’s time and attention
- Bold but humble: you present and defend ideas, but you are not afraid to be wrong
- Articulate and confident: make the complex simple and present your ideas with authority
- A team player: contribute to making everyone better at what they do
- Proactive: put your hand up and don’t wait to be asked, take initiative
- Independent, autonomous, and flexible in working style: thrive in an entrepreneurial team, be adaptable to change, bring a huge capacity for hard work in a relentlessly fast paced environment
- Committed to excellence: take pride in producing high quality work with great attention to detail
About the Process
We will be interviewing candidates throughout Q4, with the aim to make offers as soon as possible and with a start date of February 2022. The process will involve interviews and a case study, and if convenient we can conduct at least one interview in person in London.
If interested, please apply here.