The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) seeks a proactive, self-starter to join the venture investments team. The Investment Associate will work with the Investments team to accelerate the advancement of technology, job growth, and economic development in the Massachusetts Clean Energy Industry. The Associate will report to the Investment Principal and will work alongside the Investments team to source, evaluate, and manage equity and venture debt investments in the most promising clean energy companies in Massachusetts, and to assist with other related programs. This is an opportunity for a hardworking and motivated candidate to take ownership of significant responsibilities and build a venture capital skillset while developing deep relationships across the Massachusetts clean energy sector.
Investments Portfolio Management and Support: Work closely with all members of the Investments team as we engage with and provide support to companies that we’ve already invested in.
- Work with the Managing Director of Investments and Investment Principal to assist with advising and managing investments in portfolio companies
- Attend board meetings as a board observer
- Respond to and process requests for support from portfolio companies.
Investments Team Process Management: Take a lead role in making our team operate efficiently and coordinating our work with others at MassCEC.
- Manage internal processes including the database of current investment opportunities
- Manage the semi-annual request for information (RFI) process
- Assist with semi-annual portfolio valuation process, including valuation spreadsheet and valuation narrative
- Assist in preparation of presentations and recommendations for investment to senior management, the Investments Committee and the Board of Directors
- Respond to data and information requests from within the organization
- Operate and maintain the award management system
- Assist with administrative duties such as meeting notes, preparing agendas, writing briefs, preparing documents for CEO signature, scheduling meetings, and other tasks as directed by the Managing Director or Investment Principal
New Investments and Transaction Execution: Help our team identify promising clean energy companies and execute new investments to grow our portfolio.
- Help identify, track, analyze, and evaluate new clean energy investment opportunities
- Conduct investment due diligence, including business plan evaluation and general, financial, and technical due diligence
- Prepare and participate in the delivery of investment recommendation presentations for senior management and the MassCEC Investments Committee and Board
- Assist with negotiating and closing investments
External Representation of MassCEC: Build a strong network across the clean energy space through proactive engagement with ecosystem partners and other stakeholders.
- Represent MassCEC at meetings, conferences and working sessions
- Coordinate and conduct regular engagement with key ecosystem partners
- Attend events in order to identify new investment opportunities and potential investment partners
Team Management: Help manage and mentor junior team staff.
- Serve as manager to the Investments Fellow, providing oversight, support, guidance, and training
- Provide targeted support and supervision to Investment Analyst
Program Management: Provide targeted support to the Investments team’s Seed Investments Program.
- Lead the Investments team’s relationship with select programmatic portfolio companies in the seed program
- Help manage, evaluate and review applications for MassCEC funding and supporting materials for the Seed Investments Program
- Minimum undergraduate university degree
- Background in business, engineering, science, and/or environmental studies, preferred
- 2 – 3 years relevant work experience
- Venture capital investment, investment banking, strategy consulting and/or corporate positions, with exposure to energy, power, or clean energy industries and to startups and entrepreneurship, preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proactive self-starter
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities effectively Demonstrated ability to obtain and review complex technical information and clearly articulate conclusions and associated recommendations
- Interest in clean energy technology and a demonstrated aptitude to understand complex and new products, systems, innovations and business concepts as well as market opportunities and challenges
- Strong command of Excel, Word and PowerPoint
About the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center
The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC), as a quasi-public entity, plays a critical role in fostering the success of our state’s clean energy sector. MassCEC actively supports the Baker-Polito Administration’s commitment to addressing Massachusetts’ energy challenges, maintaining national leadership in clean energy, and meeting the requirements of the Global Warming Solutions Act.
MassCEC undertakes targeted programmatic initiatives to accelerate cost reductions in clean energy, help consumers diversify their energy choices and address evolving energy needs, leverage public and private funds to drive investment into this rapidly-growing sector, and scale-up renewable energy deployment across the state.
If interested, please apply here.