The Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JJDC, Inc., the venture arm of Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and a part of Johnson & Johnson’s Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for an Associate, Venture Investments, to be located in Cambridge, MA.
J&J is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products and is a provider of related services, for the consumer health, medical devices and pharmaceutical markets. The more than 265 operating companies employ over 125,000 people worldwide.
Johnson & Johnson Innovation (JJI) has opened four Innovation Centers (ICs) in Asia-Pacific, Boston, California, and London about 8 years ago. JJDC, the venture arm of J&J since 1973, with investors in these locations, brings a global presence of twelve investors with ten to thirty years of domain experience in financial, operational and strategic matters. The ICs constitute a platform from which J&J identifies and engages with the most promising healthcare innovations at universities and companies across the globe. The mission of JJDC is to source equity investments and utilize relationships within the healthcare innovation community to support innovation, accelerate start-ups and to build a pipeline of innovative products that will benefit patients and create options in areas of strategic interest to J&J.
JJDC investments balance strategic returns with financial risk and return considerations. Investment vehicles JJDC has employed include seed investments, equity investments in private companies, and PIPEs. In 2020, JJDC made over 40 new and follow-on investments and deployed over $500 million in capital.
Given the growth in its investment portfolio, JJDC is seeking a talented Associate, Venture Investments who will initiate and manage equity investments, drive business innovation, and deliver new and sustainable businesses for J&J. The successful candidate will work closely with the JJDC investment team and be responsible for sourcing, evaluating, making, managing and exiting investments in private companies, with principal focus on biotechnology investing under the guidance and mentorship of a JJDC Vice President. These target companies may include new technologies/platforms, products or business models, and will require that this person build and maintain collaborative business relationships within JJDC, J&J Innovation and the J&J operating companies, as well as, externally with academic partners, entrepreneurs, venture capital firms, banks, etc.
This Associate will be working with other JJDC investors and the broader JJDC investment team and will achieve business objectives through collaboration, coordination, and teamwork. This investment professional will demonstrate their leadership skills by participating in and presenting to JJDC’s investment committee and working on all aspects of venture transactions. In addition, this person will serve as an observer on board of directors for certain JJDC investments.
Specific areas in which the successful candidate will lead activities are:
- Managing select JJDC portfolio companies, including board observer representation, ensuring progress against program and financial benchmarks, and exit analysis and execution.
- Adding to JJDC’s pipeline of potential investment opportunities by networking with scientific founders, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and other relevant ecosystem partners. The principal’s geographic focus will be US East Coast and Eastern Canada.
- Diligencing potential opportunities to determine if they are capable of delivering upon the program and financial objectives, and in complex situations, this may require identifying and utilizing expert consultants to help evaluate the scientific, technical, manufacturing, clinical and regulatory capabilities of potential opportunities.
- Structuring creative and custom-tailored investments and deal structures ranging from academic seed investments, start-up companies, and J&J NewCos or spin-outs.
- Participating in a multi-stage investment review and approval process and preparing supporting documentation and materials as a team contributor and owner of investments. Key responsibilities include drafting term sheets, writing investment memorandums, and presenting and defending investment proposals before internal governance committees.
- In particular, s/he will be accountable within the investment team for validating financial and business plans and how that relates to the price and financing of the transaction.
- Working to enhance J&J Innovation Centers and JJDC’s presence in the healthcare innovation market.
Qualifications – External
- Scientific degree either MD or PhD is required
- MBA is desired.
- Prior experience as an investor from a venture capital, private equity, or corporate venture fund is preferred.
- 3+ years of investment experience (Venture Capital/Private Equity, investment banking, private equity) AND OR (Business Development in a healthcare company) experience is preferred
- The candidate will be well versed and have proven experience in the fundamentals of conducting extensive diligence of healthcare companies is required
- This candidate should be well networked with prior exposure to the healthcare innovation ecosystem is preferred)
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
If interested, please apply here.