Hudson Structured Capital Management Ltd. (HSCM) is an asset manager focused on alternative investments seeking mezzanine level returns. Our focus is on the Reinsurance/Insurance and Transportation sectors. HSCM launched in 2016, and as of January 1, 2021 had more than $3 billion in assets under management and committed capital. HSCM focuses on core economic sectors that are likely to outgrow global GDP, offer low correlations with broader markets, and are experiencing a shift from balance sheet and to market financing. For more information, please visit www.hscm.com.
HSCM began making venture capital investments in Insurance Technology (InsurTech) in 2017. HSCM Ventures seeks investment opportunities to support entrepreneurs from the founding of their companies through exit. HSCM Ventures leads, co-leads, or follows, and they take Board roles.
HSCM’s InsurTech strategy is led by Michael Millette, Vikas Singhal, Adrian Jones, and Andrew Sagon. The InsurTech venture team is based in New York City and Stamford (CT) and works closely with HSCM’s Bermuda-based reinsurance investment team.
HSCM Ventures is hiring at the analyst/associate levels (depending on experience) to support the team across all aspects of their work. You will have opportunities to experience sourcing, selecting, investing, building, governing, and selling venture-backed companies in the insurance sector – including attending Investment Committee meetings. You may also gain experience in managing relationships with limited partners. You will additionally be involved in the internal processes of administering funds, as well as conducting research and assisting in developing presentations, white papers, and investment memos for the Partners. HSCM Ventures believes in delegating responsibility, learning by doing, and maintaining a supportive team culture.
HSCM Ventures is looking for an Investment Team Member-Insurance, as detailed below
Skills & Experience
- At least 2 years of insurance experience in a respected insurance company, broker, agency, or service provider (such as a consultant specialized in insurance). Have broad familiarity gained through first-hand experience with major processes of insurers (underwriting, claims, risk management), core systems, data sources, and related accounting and finance concepts in Life & Health or Property & Casualty.
- Able to interface with executives at strategic investors (i.e. insurers) and portfolio companies. Can speak credibly about the industry, emerging trends, focus areas, and start-ups the fund has encountered (including portfolio companies).
- Able to develop relationships, especially with insurers and insurance-focused VCs, to identify and assess potential investment targets, research them (e.g. assess their credibility with potential customers and partners), and present them internally. (This is not a cold-calling role; most of our deal flow is via referrals or inbound contacts.)
- A demonstrated interest in InsurTech is desirable, such as by studying, advising or investing in InsurTech start-ups.
- Eager to learn the finance/transactional side of the business but doesn’t necessarily have transactional experience.
- Undergraduate degree plus at least 2 years of work experience. Spring 2021 graduates of advanced degree programs with work experience are welcome to apply.
- Strong interest in new technologies, entrepreneurship, company-building, risk-taking, etc.
- Strong communication skills in English including writing, speaking, and slide design
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Collaborative attitude to working with internal staff, limited partners, portfolio companies, and other venture capital firms
- Highest standards of professionalism, honesty, integrity, and reliability
- Once HSCM returns to the offices, you should plan to live near an HSCM office in either NYC, Stamford (CT), or Bermuda.
- Some travel (<25%) outside your home office may be required once travelling resumes, including possibly overnight or international travel
- Competitive compensation and benefits package including health insurance and retirement.
- Immediate start
If interested, please apply here.