Occam Advisors is looking for a talented, driven person with strong written communication skills and high emotional intelligence to join the team in Portland in support of our client Potencia Ventures. We manage an investment strategy for Potencia that invests in early stage companies and funds that provide education and employability services to low income people. Potencia focuses on Latin America with additional investments in the U.S. and India. Our new team member will research investment opportunities, develop a pipeline of investment opportunities, conduct diligence on investments, and generate investment memos and client presentations.
- Assist the project lead in developing a network of education and employability investment opportunities in Latin America, U.S. and India
- Provide support for investment pipeline tracking
- Coordinate and participate in engagement with companies, clients and investments funds
- Collect and report on impact and financial performance of a portfolio of fund and individual investments
- Draft investment recommendation memos on funds and direct investments for the client
- Write concise research reports on individual investments, sectors and impact investing for the client and broader audiences
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated research abilities and strong attention to detail
- Ability to establish, refine, and maintain data management processes
- Interest in impact investing, nonprofits, and financial markets
- Interest in education and international development
- Spanish and/or Portuguese proficiency highly preferred
- Start up or venture capital investment experience preferred but not required
We believe our team members are our most valuable asset and we provide a competitive salary and benefits package that includes:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Retirement plan with company contribution
- Flexible work schedule
This position will be located in Portland, Oregon but will involve international travel once that is feasible.
Occam and Potencia are committed to hiring for aptitude and potential over experience, but we expect that a successful candidate will have some relevant experience or strong demonstrated interest in entrepreneurship, education and/or early stage investments. We can adapt the position depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate and will provide opportunities for the position to expand in responsibility over time. Occam Advisors is committed to building a team with diverse backgrounds and viewpoints. Women, people of color, and any other candidates who believe they would add to Occam Advisors’ diversity of perspective are strongly encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter or statement of interest and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 12, 2021.
About Occam Advisors
Founded in 2014, Occam Advisors helps foundations, family offices and other institutions develop, execute, and manage impact investment programs. We work in long-term partnership with a small group of clients to help them meet their specific impact and return goals. We have worked in close partnership with Potencia Ventures since 2017 to build a portfolio of direct investments into start up companies serve lower-income communities either through education or increasing people’s prospects for meaningful employment. We also maintain and build on Potencia’s portfolio of venture capital funds that invest in companies in the education and employability sectors.
Occam Advisors’ other clients include Hawaii Community Foundation, Silicon Valley Community Foundation and Oregon Community Foundation, where we helped launch and manage the Oregon Impact Fund.
About Potencia Ventures
Potencia Ventures is an impact investment fund focused on business models that improve the lives of lower income people. In 2002, Potencia Ventures was founded to support initiatives that promote and build strong entrepreneurial ecosystems in emerging markets. In 2009, Potencia Ventures launched an impact investment portfolio focused on education and employability sectors. In 2017 Potencia began making direct investments into private companies that serve lower-income communities either through education or increasing people’s prospects for meaningful employment. Potencia invests in early stage companies in Latin America, the US, and India, either on its own or with other investors.