Yamaha Motor Ventures & Laboratory Silicon Valley (“YMVSV”) exists to accelerate the efforts of teams driving disruptive change. We have the resources and backing of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (“YMC”), but we also have the openness and agility of a startup. We also manage the Yamaha Motor Exploratory Fund, a $100M dedicated fund that invests in exploratory areas such as Food & Agriculture Tech, Mobility & Aviation Tech, Health & Wellness Tech (the “Fund”).
YMVSV is searching for a Principal as a key part of the Fund’s investment team. The role is ideally suited for a high energy individual with intellectual curiosity for diverse technologies and business models. This position will support and drive new investments aligned with YMVSV’s overall investment strategy.
- Analyze investment areas and drive investment theses in YMSVS’s areas of interest.
- Lead rigorous due diligence on prospective startups, including business, financial and technology analysis.
- Proactively network with the broader venture ecosystem building relationships to drive deal flow and diligence or prospective investments.
- Contribute to ongoing market reports with analysis of trends and insights at times requiring in-depth analysis.
- Understand the strategy and requirements of the various businesses within the organization and support activities of the investment team.
- Actively refer investment and partnership opportunities to Partners.
- Monitor and track portfolio companies as well as take portfolio company Observer Seats
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Intellectual curiosity for diverse technologies and a hunger to learn.
- Demonstrates a passion for venture capital
- 3-5 years venture capital or similar investment experience required with ability to hit the ground running.
- Strong work ethic, able to contribute at a high level in less-defined roles.
- Experience working with startup ecosystems as well as business interactions with large corporates.
- Experience in leading or assisting in the venture capital process or similar investments
- Financial modeling skills including the ability to analyze company financials, build pro-forma cap tables and model exit scenarios
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License and a driving record from the state of your primary residence that meets YMVSV’s insurance standards.
- Able to pass a seven (7) year background check
Travel & Location
Position is based in Palo Alto, CA.
Frequent domestic and international travel of approximately 30-40% may be expected or required.
Must be a local candidate. Relocation is not available.
We are currently not accepting resumes from recruiters at this time.
YMVSV is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
AT YAMAHA, WE ARE THE “KANDO” CREATING COMPANY
What is Kando you ask? Quite simply, Kando is an emotion that is best described as the feeling of deep satisfaction and intense excitement that we experience when we encounter something of exceptional value. We create Kando for our customers by offering them the most exciting and highest quality products in our industry. But in order to achieve this, we need passionate people who believe in what we do. Is that you?
About Yamaha Motor Ventures & Laboratory Silicon Valley (“YMVSV”)
Our work encompasses venture capital investments, portfolio management, innovation projects, and strategic efforts in collaboration with Yamaha Motor’s global operations. We’re active members of the entrepreneurial ecosystem, and we value action-oriented efforts. Some of the areas we explore include the future of mobility, sustainability, robotics, agriculture, medicine, and aviation. YMVSV is a wholly owned subsidiary of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. For more information: https://www.ymvsv.com/
If interested, please apply here.