Pender Ventures consists of a group of diverse and dedicated investors and entrepreneurs with decades of experience investing in high growth technology companies. Pender Ventures invests in a concentrated selection of B2B and health-focused technology companies at their inflection point to scale. We thrive on working alongside entrepreneurs, technologists and management teams as partners executing on a plan, applying a scale-up framework and diversity influence to drive top-quartile returns and create tangible impact. Integrity, transparency and alignment are the guiding values that drive us.
Pender Ventures is the private technology company investing arm of PenderFund Capital Management Inc.(“PCM”) an independent, employee-owned, value-based investment firm founded in 2003 to invest in emerging technology companies. Based in Vancouver, BC, PCM is an inclusive and diverse workplace of over 50 people managing over $2.4B in assets across private and public equities and fixed income.
As a Principal, you will take a leadership role in sourcing, evaluating, and executing investment opportunities, with a particular focus on health-tech. In addition, you will help build out our investment theses in health and guide our knowledge of key trends.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Qualifying potential investment opportunities, developing investment thesis, authoring investment memos, detailed due diligence, financial modeling, structuring, and negotiating.
- In a lead investor capacity, developing and refining presentation themes; gathering and synthesizing data; and constructing professional presentation materials.
- Performing due diligence and industry research (market sizing and mapping and competitive landscape analysis) while demonstrating the ability to form a high conviction viewpoint on investment opportunities.
- Developing and maintaining a broad network of industry contacts as a source of deal flow, co-investors, business development opportunities and market intelligence.
- Working with portfolio companies to enhance operations and performance; supporting them on ad hoc projects.
- Representing Pender Ventures in the ecosystem: industry conferences, events and networking.
- Partnering with the healthcare founders in our community to help drive strategic initiatives.
Qualifications and experience:
- An undergraduate degree in biological sciences, bioengineering or medicine. Additional advanced degrees MS, PhD or MD training is a plus.
- 6 years of strong business and financial analysis work experience in the healthcare industry, in venture capital, investment banking, equity research, management consulting or in business/corporate development with a healthcare company.
- A creative thinker who has the passion to imagine the possibilities of how healthcare can improve and what products, software and services can enable.
- Excellent analytical skills, and consistent attention to detail with the aptitude to comprehend broader market trends.
- Strong knowledge of Excel and experience with cash flow modeling and investment valuation techniques.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge in best practices of healthcare systems, an understanding of the incentives and motivations of different stakeholders in health (providers, payors, pharma, government) and/or experience with health-tech starts ups is a plus.
What’s in it for you?
- A unique opportunity to join a diverse and passionate founding team that will be launching our second fund. The team will draw on the crossover investing capabilities of PCM, and will grow into new, exciting investment areas over time.
- Competitive compensation with the opportunity for employee share ownership in PCM.
- Opportunities for ongoing professional development and career advancement.
- Work with a talented and growing team dedicated to being the most aligned and transparent partner to our LP’s and companies.
Our commitment to diversity: Pender is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace that recognizes and values differences. It is a core principle at Pender that an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace simply makes us better. A diverse team with a range of knowledge and experience makes better decisions, which means better results for our stakeholders. We do not discriminate on any basis and welcome applications from all qualified individuals. When selecting candidates for employment, promotion, training or any other benefits, it is on the basis of aptitude and ability. Should you require any accommodation or have questions, please let us know.
If interested, please apply here.