Novo Ventures is seeking a Principal to join the public equity investment team in our San Francisco office.
The Novo Ventures team is responsible for advising Novo Holdings, a leading global life science investor, on investments in emerging life science companies. We oversee more than $2Bn of assets under management across both private and public investments. With activities in San Francisco, Boston, London and Copenhagen, Novo Ventures is ideally positioned to reach the major hubs of life science and respond to investment opportunities when they arise.
Based in our San Francisco office, the successful candidate will be part of our team responsible for originating, analyzing and managing our public equity investments. Our public investing activities implement a long-only strategy focused on small and mid cap biotech and medtech companies driven by science, data and a long-term view. Efforts in this area are primarily focused on pre-clinical and clinical stage biotechnology companies as well as high growth revenue stage medical technology opportunities. We have a broad mandate to invest in crossover, IPO, follow-on financings, PIPEs and open market transactions. As the public equities team works alongside the private equity team, the role will also provide exposure to the firm’s venture capital and structured finance investment strategies. Specific responsibilities may include, but are not be limited to, the following:
- Lead the assessment of management teams, science, clinical development plans, regulatory outlook, commercial opportunities, intellectual property, competitive landscape and valuation analysis to help determine the overall attractiveness of potential investment opportunities
- Prepare and present investment materials and supporting documentation associated with potential investments
- Monitor and assist with management of public investments
- Attend scientific and broker conferences
- Assist with idea generation and deal origination
- Assist in operations and other ad hoc tasks to support portfolio management
- Collaborate with other areas of the organization to support other Novo Holdings activities
- Train and mentor junior team members
We are looking for a candidate with:
- A strong scientific and/or clinical background, with a Ph.D. and/or M.D. in life sciences
- 4+ years non-academic work experience in analyzing biotech and/or medtech companies – ideally in buy-side or sell-side equity research, investment banking, management consulting with a focus on healthcare or in business development
- Proficiency with financial statement analysis, accounting and financial modeling
- Experience working with various databases, libraries and other data sources to assist in researching companies, clinical trials, competitive positioning, commercial opportunities and other areas of interest is preferred
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work with cross cultural / multi office teams
- Team player
- Passion for healthcare investing
- Organized and detail-oriented, with a demonstrated ability to multi-task
Working at Novo Ventures
Novo Ventures offers a unique opportunity to work on the frontier of life science investments, helping pioneering scientists, entrepreneurs and companies bring new treatments and technologies to market. We have a respectful and collaborative work culture where your opinion is valued. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome and celebrate individuals of all backgrounds, orientations, and identities. We are family-friendly and provide outstanding benefits, such as five months of paid leave for birthing parents and three months of paid leave for non-birthing parents.
We offer a competitive salary package and you will be trusted with significant operational freedom. You will enjoy the opportunity to be part of a dedicated, international and dynamic team with diverse backgrounds.
If interested, please apply here.