MetaProp is a New York-based venture capital firm focused on the real estate technology (“PropTech”) industry. Founded in 2015, MetaProp’s investment team has invested in 135+ technology companies across the real estate value chain. The firm manages multiple funds for both financial and strategic real estate investors that represent a pilot- and test-ready sandbox of 20+ billion square feet across every real estate asset type and global market. The firm’s investment activities are complemented by pioneering community leadership including the PropTech Place innovation hub, MetaProp Accelerator at Columbia University programs, global events NYC Real Estate Tech Week and Propel by MIPIM NYC, and publications Global PropTech Confidence Index and PropTech 101.
- Lead deal teams, champion investments and continue to build your track record while benefiting from unparalleled deal flow and support as a principal investor at PropTech’s most prolific venture capital firm.
- Contribute to the continued growth and maturation of MetaProp’s venture capital investment platform.
- Gain invaluable experience and build your brand and relationships across the venture capital, technology, and real estate industries.
- Grow your career with a dynamic team, a flexible remote-first culture, and access to a fabulous New York City office location.
The Principal position is an opportunity to step into a key role within our fast growing PropTech investment firm. For a rising star investor looking to take a leadership role in the most exciting deals in one of the tech market’s fastest growing and most dynamic sectors, this role is as good as it gets.
You will work closely with the investment partnership and help execute all aspects of MetaProp’s deal process, working across the full deal lifecycle to ensure MetaProp continues to source, diligence and ultimately secure the right to partner with the most promising early-stage PropTech companies. While your primary responsibilities will be deal-related, you will also assist Partners with portfolio management, fund operations, and administration. In addition to playing a leadership role in deal teams, you can expect to gain operational experience, continue to build sector knowledge, work with talented entrepreneurs, other VCs, limited partners, real estate industry executives, and other constituents in the PropTech ecosystem.
The ideal candidate is passionate and savvy about all things tech and venture investing. A true deal junky at heart and a student of the venture capital industry. You love digging into the details of a prospective investment opportunity but never lose the forest for the trees. You have a collegial demeanor but a serious competitive streak.
We are a fast-paced, high performance team. We thrive as individuals but love collaboration. Someone with limitless curiosity for the ever-evolving PropTech world would fit in well. This specific position is particularly well suited to a candidate who has particular strength in finance, operations, due diligence, and research.
- Deal Sourcing through Execution: End-to-end execution of all phases of the investment process, including:
- Sourcing: Ensure that our deal flow remains the best in the business by surfacing high quality, often closely held and/or highly competitive investment opportunities in a timely manner. You will have lots of support in this arena, but we are counting on you to help us take our collective capabilities to an even higher level.
- Deal Leadership: Serve as one of the firm’s primary deal team captains/quarterbacks. Work with the firm’s partnership and broader investment team to generate and refine deal investment theses, establish due diligence game plans, and project manage small deal teams made up of additional investment professionals, service providers and third-parties to reach timely and well considered investment decisions. Keep us focused on the most important issues, coordinated and appropriately informed around collective efforts, and in a position to win in competitive situations.
- Due Diligence: Identify and diligence investment opportunities, including meeting with entrepreneurs, understanding existing and new markets and competitive dynamics, analyzing business and financial models as well as business strategy and operational plans, and conducting reference checks. Strong attention to detail and project management are table stakes here but most crucial is your deal judgement. We’re counting on you to spot and parse market trends, analyze competitive dynamics, evaluate elite human capital, and have an instinctual feel for business metrics and mechanics in order to help us identify the small number of investment opportunities each year that will drive outsized value creation. We do not always need to have identical deal taste (it may well be better if we don’t!) but we expect you to have outstanding deal judgement and relish the opportunity to present and advocate for your point of view.
- Deal Execution and Analysis: Help execute new and follow-on financings, including formulating investment memos, structuring deals, modeling cap table scenarios, and coordinating legal processes through to close.
- Portfolio Support: Work with portfolio companies on key issues. Coordinate and expand MetaProp’s network of portfolio support resources by facilitating and analyzing portfolio communications and value add.
- Community Engagement: Represent MetaProp at industry events, bringing new entrepreneurs into the firm’s network, and generally keeping a pulse on the PropTech community.
- Thought Leadership: Further MetaProp’s position as a thought leader in the PropTech market by contributing to thesis development and authoring and publishing market research and opinion publications.
- Venture Platform Building and Execution: Continue to build out and evolve MetaProp’s investment and internal procedures, tools, and models based on experience and best practices.
- Investor Relations & Fundraising: Contribute to investor reporting, events, and fundraising efforts.
- 4–8 years of venture capital experience. Additional relevant experience may include limited partner fund investing, private equity investing, consulting, banking, or similar experience, and/or operations experience in a management position at a startup.
- Track record of success sourcing and leading venture capital investments into fast growing early-stage technology companies. Proven ability to identify, thoughtfully and efficiently diligence, advocate/fight for, and win attractive (and sometimes competitive) deals on reasonable terms.
- Exceptional deal judgement. You understand the “why” behind what makes for a great venture capital investment. What separates a very good business, team, and market opportunity from one that has the potential to become a truly iconic company capable of generating venture-scale returns.
- You are extremely well-versed in and savvy about the venture capital ecosystem. You understand the industry at both high theoretical and on-the-ground practical levels and understand what it takes for a firm and an individual to be successful within it.
- Deep and continuously evolving network within the venture capital and startup ecosystems. Investors and founders view you as a thought leader in your domain.
- Passionate (borderline obsessive) about tech-enabled businesses and helping to grow early-stage startups. You always have deals in your back pocket and compelling rationales for why they would make attractive investments.
- Able to develop and defend a point of view. Not afraid to stand out from a crowd and advocate for a perspective once you’ve put in the work. Innovative thinker with outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong understanding of how to analyze and vet an investment opportunity. You have an instinct for the important questions to ask and prioritize them accordingly. You are fluent in common startup metrics.
- Demonstrate strong quantitative and analytical skills – you can navigate financial models and large datasets with ease, and can distill the key points to tell a story.
- Experience structuring and negotiating deal terms. You’ve put together dozens of term sheets and deal docs, know the basics cold and have seen enough edge cases to know how to structure for circumstance–and when not to.
- Commitment to diversity. It’s important to us and it should be important to you too. We’re continually looking for ways to help our firm and our peers take a leadership role in shaping a more inclusive industry and we want every member who joins our team to help further this goal.
- Proactive, self-starter – you are high energy, have a strong work ethic, and an execution machine.
- Organized and efficient team leader. You know how to get the most out of a small team of talented professionals. You lead by example, set clear expectations, know when to get involved and when to get out of the way. You know how to both produce and measure results.
- Consistent, organized learner – you are insatiably curious and love diving into a new challenge or subject area and approach it with both intrigue and rigor.
- Strong organizational and systems creation skills.
- MBA, technical, or similar degree with a record of achievement.
Email email@example.com with a brief email (500 words in total) telling us (1) why your experiences will uniquely help you excel as a Principal at MetaProp, and (2) about one early-stage PropTech startup (not currently in the MetaProp portfolio) that you think we should invest in and why. Please attach your resume and list “Venture Capital Principal” in the subject line. We’ll be in touch if there’s a fit.