Link Ventures is currently seeking a full-time Investment Principal.
The Venture Capital Investment Principal will collaborate closely with the rest of the Link Ventures (LV) investment team, and will identify promising investment candidates, develop bottoms-up financial models (IS, BS, CF), and structure venture capital investments. An average day might include evaluating 10 new companies from LV’s algorithmic sourcing tool, reaching out to 5 CEOs to set up introductory calls and product demos, critically reviewing 3 company models from potential investment targets, and summarizing diligence notes from 3 customer calls. A sincere interest in and curiosity about early-stage software entrepreneurship is a must have for this role.
- Source 1,000 – 1,500 software companies of potential investment interest each year using LV’s proprietary data analytics tool, and record findings of interest in LV’s customer relationship management (CRM) tool.
- Map the product offerings of these startups against the broader competitive landscape, and screen potential investment opportunities via initial calls with company management.
- Elevate 100+ candidates of interest each year to the principal and managing directors of the fund in the team’s weekly meetings.
- Handle initial financial statement review, financial modeling, and investment structure analysis for active deals.
- Use LV’s proprietary tool to screen historical industry transactions for companies of interest that may be coming back out to market for a subsequent financing
- Manage initial communication with startup company CEOs, CFOs, and senior management to determine whether company progress and scale meets LV targets.
- Present sourced deal opportunities to the full LV team on a weekly basis, and provide an end-of-week summary regarding sourcing progress.
- Develop familiarity with LV’s standard linked financial models, valuation tools, and waterfall returns analyses.
- Develop bottoms-up financial models (IS, BS, CF), and structure venture capital investments.
- Propose investment candidates and conduct detailed investment and financial analysis for the Investment Team’s review.
- Conduct competitive market and industry research.
Ideal candidates will have at least 2-3 years of experience working with a direct to consumer startup or growth-stage technology company, preferably in a product, marketing, or operations role or at least 2-3 years in venture capital or a related field (investment banking, private equity, management consulting) with a keen interest in early stage software companies.
A large portion of the role involves finding viable investment candidates, building financial models from the bottoms up, intelligently talking to CEOs and “selling” Link’s value add. You should be someone who has the following qualities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant major (Economics, Computer Science, etc.) or relevant applicable work experience
- Finance background sufficient to parse standard GAAP financial statements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanor. This individual is expected to communicate professionally with software company CEOs, and to represent LV to the broader entrepreneurial and venture capital investment industry
- Proficient in financial statement analysis and financial modeling and cap table modeling
- Has polished Excel Financial Modeling and PowerPoint skills
- Prior entrepreneurial experience working at or within a consumer Internet company a plus, but not required
- Understands first-hand the challenges of an early stage consumer internet company, and can leverage those insights in qualifying investments and in communicating with entrepreneurs
- Experience with professional writing and presentation
- Keeps abreast of the latest technology trends and can speak to a few specific areas of expertise and experience
- Takes initiative to problem-solve, can gain proficiency quickly, and bring new ideas to the table
Compensation includes base salary paid on a monthly basis with a variable component tied to performance.
ABOUT LINK VENTURES
Link Ventures is a venture fund dedicated to investing in internet and technology companies with a capital-efficient road to profitability. Link Ventures is based in Kendall Square within a few blocks of MIT, where we are in close partnership with MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.
Link Ventures invests in software companies transforming the lives of everyday consumers. LV invests in B2C categories across industries including (e.g. Fintech, Insurtech, Healthcare, Healthcare Tech).
Our process of sourcing is data driven. We source investments by tracking a company’s digital footprint and talent movements with our proprietary algorithms, and by connecting with like-minded entrepreneurs and investors.
We identify entrepreneurs who are building category leading companies that make people’s lives better with faster, cheaper, more efficient services for all facets of life.
And in doing so, we generate win-win returns for all parties involved – our portfolio companies’ shareholders (our LPs), customers, and employees.