Lewis and Clark Ventures is a founder-focused fund that invests in early-stage companies located between the coasts. We partner with exceptional entrepreneurs who are leveraging technology to solve meaningful problems. We draw on our experiences as founders and investors to help companies accelerate growth. With over $175M in AUM, we’ve successfully partnered with breakout companies like Beam Dental, SummerSalt, Benson Hill, and MedAvail (MDVL). Lewis and Clark Ventures provides founders with the support, experience, and capital they need to make their bold visions a reality.
The Principal Role
The Lewis & Clark Ventures’ Principal position is an opportunity to join a market leading early-stage Venture fund, investing in the middle of the country.
In this role, you will work closely with the investment partnership and contribute to day-to-day execution of all aspects of Lewis & Clark Ventures investing strategy, deal process and fund operations. It is a unique opportunity to work on the frontlines of venture investing, deepen deal and operational experience, build sector knowledge, work with talented entrepreneurs, other VCs, limited partners, industry executives, and other constituents in the early-stage ecosystem. You will be a point person for our early-stage strategy, accountable for deal life cycles, and will be an active participant in our Investment Committee.
The perfect candidate is passionate and savvy about all things tech, startups and venture investing. We are a fast-paced, high-performance and highly collaborative team. Someone with a strong drive to succeed combined with limitless curiosity for the ever-evolving tech world would fit in well.
- Deal Flow: Proactively source and screen potential investment opportunities based on the fund’s established criteria. Successful Principals will generate deal flow by building a strong referral network consisting of successful management teams, investors, and other ecosystem partners and by researching emerging investment theses.
- Diligence: Lead the assessment of potential investment opportunities by (i) engaging the management team (ii) completing thorough analyses of all key business components (technology, sales, marketing, operations), (iii) closely assessing the market and competitive landscape, (iv) building detailed financial models, and (v) evaluating the deal dynamics. Successful Principals will quickly build meaningful relationships with CEOs, demonstrate strong project management and leadership skills by guiding the Investment Team during diligence, and draft our internal Investment Memorandum summarizing our diligence and investment thesis.
- Closing: Lead the negotiation and documentation process for potential investments from term sheet through to closing. Successful Principals will negotiate terms with the target company, draft the term sheet, and work with legal counsel to draft all necessary deal documents.
- Post-Investment: Actively engaging portfolio companies is core to our investment model at Lewis & Clark Ventures. We typically lead investment rounds and take a board seat post-investment. Successful Principals will work closely with the management team and other board members, continue to understand the key business operations as the company grows and evolves, track execution through monthly financials and KPIs, assess the company’s ability to meet the initial investment thesis on an on-going basis, and proactively, engage in course correction as needed.
- Investor Relations: Participate in Lewis & Clark Ventures Investor Relations activities and Fundraising process. Successful Principals will be able to articulate Lewis & Clark Ventures differentiated model and investment thesis, engage potential LPs, and represent the fund’s mission, vision and values on a day to day basis.
The ideal candidate will have a combination of the following:
- 5+ years professional experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, financial analysis, management consulting, startup leadership, or other applicable fields.
- An experienced entrepreneur that has built and exited businesses.
- Demonstrated ability to influence all levels of management, cross-functionally and externally.
- A demonstrated ability to make things happen quickly and thrive in a fast-paced, fluid and collaborative environment.
- Exceptional analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
If interested, please apply here.