The Greenhouse Fund is an early stage, pre-seed fund that invests in innovative, scalable market-based companies led by Black founders in three core areas: Restructuring the flow of capital in Black communities, Creating Healthy Environments, and using innovative ideas to foster belonging and connectivity. The fund will invest in approximately 10-15 companies per year (up to 50 for the life of the fund).
Greenhouse Fund is a part of the Genius Guild platform, a business creation platform that invests in market-based solutions that end racism. In terms of capital markets, investing in market-based innovations to end racism means applying an investment lens that actively addresses the ways in which capitalism and capitalist markets have been manipulated to limit, exclude, and defraud black communities.
Position Overview: The Principal will be an experienced investment professional who has significant work experience in early stage venture capital and startups. The Principal will manage the day to day operations of the fund including, but not limited to , leading, negotiating, and managing the firm’s investments.
- Managing the day to day operations of the fund, with support from Genius Guild’s Chief Operating Office and the General Partner of Greenhouse Fund.
- Assisting with the management of all stages of pre-seed venture capital investments including product-specific diligence, market analysis, and conducting primary and secondary research, development of investment themes and theses, legal documentation, modeling, negotiation, investment committee presentations, and other relevant activities
- Own the creation of the infrastructure, process and strategy to ensure that startups and founders that Genius Guild wants to invest in are in line with the fund’s investment thesis and strategy
- Monitor the financial and operational progress, and relevant macro conditions and industry dynamics relevant to startups in the fund’s portfolio
- Supporting existing portfolio company investments through ongoing analysis and review with other investment professionals in the firm
- Proactively work with the management and board of portfolio companies (in a board observer capacity) to execute growth and operational improvement strategies
- Develop an informed perspective of relevant sectors, including managing and building the GG Investments brand, and nurturing personal relationships with: VC firms, startup accelerators, founders, and other members of the venture ecosystem
- About 7 to 10 years of work experience including experience at an early stage venture capital firm, at an accelerator, in a major corporate venture capital group, or in management consulting.
- An advanced degree from a well-regarded graduate program is helpful, but not required.
- Highly developed analytical skills with ability to define issues, collect and analyze pertinent data, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, draw valid conclusions, propose sound recommendations, and implement approved solutions in support of specified goals; “big picture” view with attention to detail is critical
- Self-starter with demonstrated track record of achievement in fast paced, entrepreneurial work environments
The Principal will be an individual who is highly self-motivated and dependable. The position requires the ability to think independently and a passion for being part of the very beginning of building an investment management company from its inception. This person will have an opportunity to make a mark, and will assist the fund’s leaders in defining future investment theses and strategy.
Suitable candidates will have demonstrable, and strong communication skills. The ideal candidate will also have proven and successful relationship building skills, having an ability to independently nurture and leverage partnerships across the early-stage investment community.
If interested, please apply here.