Energize Ventures invests in growth stage technology businesses that make energy and industry more affordable, reliable and secure. Based in Chicago, we partner with world-class entrepreneurs solving complex problems by providing capital and our unique operational and commercial support.
Become a part of the Energize Ventures team to deliver excellent returns and build the Fund’s reputation as the premier energy and industrial technology venture investor. We are a small team with an entrepreneurial spirit and this role requires flexibility, a diverse skill set, and ability to perform at a high level on multiple fronts. We are looking for a driven, hard-working, insightful individual to help us with market deep dives, investment sprints, and other strategic initiatives.
The Principal reports to a Partner at Energize Ventures and will support the investment team in building the pipeline, due diligence and investment decisions. This is a full-time position, flexible for remote through COVID but long-term preferred location Chicago. Expected start date is Q4 2020 or Q1 2021.
Help us identify, select and win opportunities to invest in the best energy and industrial tech startups. Energize prefers to grow senior investment professionals from within the firm, and this role has the potential to be a “Partner-track” position.
- Evaluate and respond to a high volume of initial introductions, including holding initial screening conversations with ventures and evaluating those opportunities.
- Lead due diligence process including meeting notes, references, product and technical due diligence, competitive landscape research, market sizing, financial evaluation, and deal terms.
- Identify and track the most promising technologies and companies for potential investment.
- Provide regular updates to Energize limited partners on portfolio and firm progress.
- Support development of insight pieces, blog posts, speeches or presentations.
- Attend (virtually and in-person when applicable) conferences and events to build out Energize’s deal pipeline and broader network.
- Enthusiasm for emerging technology, entrepreneurs and startups.
- Self-motivated, highly productive, keen attention to detail, execution oriented.
- Fundamental grasp and respect for the broader energy, critical infrastructure and industrial markets.
- Desire and willingness to learn, give and take feedback, and challenge conventional thinking.
- Extraordinary written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable presenting and sharing various points of view on potential investments, including offering a contrary opinion.
- Recognition of important tech trends and emerging businesses with a unique perspective on the energy and industrial verticals.
- Strong diligence skills and an ability to quickly evaluate key questions, risks or upside of an opportunity.
- Strong financial analysis skills, including ability to digest a financial model, identify and judge key drivers or vulnerabilities.
- Sound business and personal judgment.
- Demonstrated interest in technology and its application in energy and heavy industry.
- An individual with relevant investing experience or operating experience at a high-growth energy/technology company would be the strongest fit for this role.
- Experience owning a P&L and managing capital allocation and sales process will help this individual succeed at Energize Ventures.
- Proven ability to identify and support talent; motivated by connecting executives with valuable industry members.
- Exposure to transactions in venture capital and M&A.
- Minimum 10 years work experience, with 5–7 years in operations and/or startups.
Energize Ventures embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Interested and qualified candidates should reach out to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!