Are you interested in learning about healthcare professions and the latest healthcare innovations in the KC area? Become part of an organization that is dedicated to making a difference in both your career and community.
Job Description Summary :Responsible for assisting the team in a variety of capacities including, sourcing, evaluating, and executing investment opportunities, as well as monitoring and reporting on portfolio performance. The Principal will engage with portfolio company management and co-investors as a Board member or observer in support of strategic planning, corporate development, and other governance matters. Additionally, the Principal will interact extensively with internal business leaders and subject matter experts at Blue KC in order to validate strategic alignment with Cobalt portfolio companies and facilitate post-investment execution.
- Qualifying potential investment opportunities, developing investment thesis, authoring investment memoranda, directing transaction execution teams, and coordinating closing.
- Working on all aspects of the investment transaction process from origination, detailed due diligence, financial modeling, structuring, negotiating and closing, to tracking portfolio company performance post-closing.
- Developing and maintaining a broad network of industry contacts as a source of deal flow, co-investors, business development opportunities and market intelligence for the benefit of new and existing Cobalt portfolio companies.
- Maintaining detailed pipeline of prospects and potential deals through Cobalt’s CRM system and external sources.
- Developing monthly business performance metrics and reports for Cobalt portfolio companies reflecting both operational and financial performance.
- Preparing materials and presentations for ad hoc initiatives as well as recurring meetings (e.g. quarterly Blue KC Investment & Finance Committee meetings).
- Engaging with portfolio company management to support strategy, business development opportunities, M&A, capital formation and ultimate exit.
- Working with internal stakeholders, business leaders and subject matter experts to proactively focus investments based on strategic alignment and post-investment execution at Blue KC as a demonstration site and reference customer for portfolio companies.
- For those portfolio companies specified by Cobalt’s President and Managing Partner, serve as Cobalt’s Board of Directors representative and perform all associated governance duties and responsibilities (e.g. attendance at regularly scheduled Board of Directors meetings).
- Supporting all aspects of the annual financial audit for Cobalt including portfolio company valuations.
- Interacting directly with Blue KC senior finance and accounting professionals to ensure proper financial reporting for the Cobalt Ventures portfolio.
- Supporting various corporate development activities of Cobalt Health Solutions and Blue KC including M&A, joint ventures, partnerships and divestitures.
- Supporting enterprise strategy, innovation and product development at Blue KC via industry perspectives and market access stemming from Cobalt Ventures deal flow and portfolio management activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or a related academic discipline.
- 8+ years of professional experience with a successful track record in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, consulting, corporate development or operating roles at an entrepreneurial startup.
- Must be highly entrepreneurial with a passion for knowledge, a drive for excellence, a solid business savvy, flexibility, and high integrity. Self-starter; able to work autonomously.
- High ethical and moral standards and transparency of approach due to the rapidly changing, entrepreneurial, and deal intensive environment.
- Collaborative, creative, and intellectually curious combined with an ability to enjoy and contribute to a collegial, small-firm culture.
- Excellent analytical skills, and consistent attention to detail with the aptitude to comprehend broader market trends.
- A solid understanding of finance and capital structures.
- Ability to integrate “top down” and “bottom up” perspectives into specific investment and operational recommendations.
- Possess a well calibrated understanding of venture capital dynamics and prevailing market strategies. Superior communication and interpersonal skills, including the capacity to work closely with an experienced and dedicated team of professionals.
- Possesses a driven and decisive personality; a “whatever it takes to get it done” mentality.
- The maturity to partner with senior industry operating executives with solid relationship skills and ability to mesh with diverse personalities.
- Ability to dissect and synthesize complex issues and develop creative solutions. Detail oriented with exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word, and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strategically oriented with a high degree of finance aptitude and knowledge.
- Organizational, multitasking and decision-making skills are essential. Hands on experience with computers and office machines.
- 5+ years of professional experience with an industry focus on Digital Health and/or healthcare services.
- MBA or other advanced degree.
- Deal sourcing, due diligence and transaction execution experience within a VC/PE environment or corporate development function
- Proven and demonstrated expertise in financial analysis/valuation with extensive financial modeling experience.
If interested, please apply here.