Citi Ventures is Citi’s corporate innovation engine. The Citi Ventures Investing (CVI) team focuses on identifying, sourcing, cultivating relationships with, and investing in entrepreneurs who will help define the future of financial services. To attract and engage with the best startups, CVI leverages the power of its franchise, whether as a big tech spender ($8bn/year) or the leading global bank (operating in nearly 100 countries and serving more of the largest corporates and investors than any of our peers). Specifically, CVI fosters interactions among leading startups, Citi executives (“BUs”) and/or Citi’s institutional (“ICG”) clients to identify win-win-win opportunities.
Thus (i) startups gain access to potential flagship clients and to subject matter expertise to refine their go-to-market and roadmaps, (ii) BUs and ICG clients gain exposure to exciting startups that can help them become more innovative, and (iii) CVI gets to add value to its portfolio companies and/or to nurture relationships with startups in which it would like to invest.
The CVI team is seeking a highly motivated individual to (a) source and invest in leading fintech startups, (b) engage with BUs and ICG Clients with two-way dialogue and introductions, and (c) drive piloting and commercialization of portfolio startups within Citi. The role is based in San Francisco or Palo Alto.
Position Scope & Responsibilities:
- Source and invest in leading fintech startups, engaging with the broad external ecosystem
- Conduct market research on emerging industry trends, deal flow, and specific startups
- Organize and attend venture capital and startup ecosystem events
- Network with startup founders, other investors, and others in the startup ecosystem
- Source, screen and track deal flow via investment thesis-based targeted outreach and by developing relationships with entrepreneurs and investors
- Conduct due diligence on potential investments in collaboration with deal leads
- Create investment decks, models, and deal memos
- Help portfolio companies align product roadmaps with key industry challenges
- Own the governance and post-deal portfolio monitoring process
- Engage with BUs and ICG Clients with two-way dialogue and introductions
- Interact with BUs and ICG Clients to understand their strategic priorities, roadmaps, and perspectives on industry developments
- Prepare presentations on relevant industry trends and landscapes and organize domain sessions and startup workshops for BUs and/or ICG Clients
- Make startup introductions for commercialization opportunities to BUs and/or ICG Clients and help portfolio companies navigate BUs
- In close partnership with BUs, identify, assess, and invest in promising startups engaged/engaging with BUs to strengthen the commercial relationships
- Must have bachelor’s degree from a top college or university, preferably in Economics, Engineering or other analytical disciplines
- Must have a minimum of 6 years of experience of tech/fintech-focused venture investing at a venture capital/growth equity firm or in a corporate venture investing group; previous experience in technology- or FIG-focused investment banking is a plus
- Drive and ability to collaborate in teams and work independently
- Ability to articulate and debate opinions on potential investments
- Ability to navigate a large financial services organization and to engage executives from Citi and Citi ICG Clients
- Ability to supervise, mentor, manage and develop talent
If interested, please apply here.