Fission Ventures, Alumni Ventures Group’s (AVG’s) fund for Columbia alumni and friends of the community, is seeking an experienced, full-time Partner who will serve as a leader of the Fund’s investing work – deal sourcing, researching, evaluating, and managing relationships with portfolio companies and fellow venture investors. Fission Ventures, which is currently launching its third fund, is a part of Alumni Ventures Group (AVG), which creates and manages venture capital funds for accredited investors seeking smart, simple access to diversified venture portfolios. In 2019, AVG was the third most active venture investor in the US.
The successful Partner at Fission Ventures will drive enhanced deal quality and improve co-investing opportunities for AVG Funds and investors. As a Partner of the Fund, you will work directly with the Managing Partner of Fission Ventures (located in NYC), and report jointly to both the MP and to AVG’s Investment Teams Board (comprised of AVG’s CEO, CIO, CCO and COO).
ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AVG offers dozens of distinct funds, including: 19 Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AVG has raised over $500 million; has invested in over 500 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AVG typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
- Base Salary
- Carried Interest
- Equity in AVG
- Competitive Benefits
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA or MS/MA preferred
- Significant private company investing experience across various sectors and stages
- Entrepreneurial DNA; operating background a plus
- Demonstrated experience in implementing and executing standardized business processes
- Alumnus of the university community preferred
- Significant connections to and influence in the venture investing ecosystem. Ready and able to engage a network of venture and startup professionals who can provide you and Fission Ventures access to a high number of exceptional investing opportunities
- Demonstrated interest in emerging technologies and innovation, as evidenced by a professional track record of meaningful involvement in the startup space and personal involvement with opportunities around cutting-edge technology
- Experience advising, consulting, and valuing emerging companies and/or new technologies
- Ability to quickly garner credibility, respect, and trust from complete strangers
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, balanced by ability to get and communicate big picture
- Experience successfully managing multiple, complex projects at the same time
- Excellent work ethic and professional demeanor
- Strong writer and communicator, excellent listener
- Strong teamwork with HQ teams to achieve goals, compliance, and open communication
- Track record of investing including significant private company deals sourced from a personal, professional network of venture and startup connections
- Knowledge and comfort with current events and trends impacting the venture investing ecosystem
- Exceptional financial and venture acumen:
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate venture investing opportunities
- Strong research and analytical skills, particularly venture investing
- Experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Familiarity with deal structures and closing processes (ability to read, analyze, and assess term sheets)
- High level of gravitas and understanding of how the venture community functions and AVG’s place within it
- Domain expertise in one or more tech/startup sectors
- Superior relationship development/management skills with a comfort and desire to regularly interact with potential community members
- Track record of being able to build meaningful relationships with high-net worth and ultra high-net worth individuals
- Strong influence and connections within the university ecosystem
- Ability to be a leader in AVG’s NYC office and the company’s investments in the community
- Identify top-tier deal resources and conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and additional entities as appropriate to help cement consistent deal flow for the fund and AVG
- Help direct and manage the fund’s investment pipeline and management of deal opportunities
- Research and evaluate each company and industry as a potential investment, including the company’s team, competitors, and customers
- Prepare due diligence report based on company discussions, data room, market research, lead investor terms and lead investor discussion
- Conduct internal peer-review sessions of due diligence
- Along with the Managing Partner, manage the Investment Committee process
- Manage back-end transaction completion functions with back-office resources
- Meet or exceed regular, periodic goals as established through collaboration with AVG’s appropriate functional departments (Community, Office of Investments, Office of the CEO)
- Example: Alumni funds sponsor (source, diligence & Investment Committee) between 10 and 20 investments per year and evaluate additional 10-20 investments that are sponsored by sibling funds for inclusion to a portfolio.
- Leverage AVG’s Portfolio Services where appropriate, work to develop relationships, support companies with customer/recruiting introductions and further opportunities with important companies across the portfolio
- In coordination with the Managing Partner, develop investor relations and potential investor outreach as required
- Educate prospective investors about the investment opportunity
- Engage with and support our Fellows (mid-career interns), provide mentorship and leverage their time to support fund activities
- Establish, manage, and grow personal relationships throughout the venture community and beyond
- Drive brand awareness and community growth, managing all relationships in a professional, courteous manner
Growth of AVG
- Educate deal sources, companies, and entrepreneurs about AVG’s process
- Be a leader in AVG’s NYC office and the company’s investments in the community
- Contribute to improvements of AVG’s approach, process, products, and services
If interested, please apply here.