Andreessen Horowitz (known as “a16z”) is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic. We invest in seed to late-stage technology companies, across the consumer, enterprise, bio/healthcare, crypto, and fintech spaces. a16z has nearly $16.5B in assets under management across multiple funds, including the $1.4B Bio funds, the $865M Crypto funds, and the Cultural Leadership Fund.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the entrepreneurial company building process. We’ve invested in companies like Airbnb, Apeel, Coinbase, Figma, Freenome, Instacart, Lyft, Slack, and Stripe. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping entrepreneurs and their companies impact and change the world.
We’re looking for a new member to join the Bio Deal Team! The Deal Partner will work directly with our Bio General Partners around investment opportunities and decisions. The Deal Team’s primary goal is to build and deepen our comprehensive knowledge around the biotechnology and life sciences (novel research technologies, diagnostics, and therapeutics platforms) ecosystem. This enables us to discover the most promising scientists and founders, make the best possible investment decisions, and empower the startup (and big company) ecosystem with thought leadership.
To Join Our Team, You Should Be Excited To
- Build and cultivate long lasting relationships.
- Source investment opportunities. The Bio Deal Partner will systematically curate and find promising investment opportunities in their domain by developing relationships with researchers/scientists, academic and research institutions, and entrepreneurs.
- Bring and sharpen an investment point of view on categories and companies. Why would we invest in a company? What creates the opportunity for an outsized return in a space? What market technology trends are creating disruptions and therefore investing opportunities?
- Lead comprehensive diligence. The Bio Deal Partner will lead diligence on investment opportunities. They will develop and provide detailed analyses of the company’s people, science, products, technologies, go-to-market plan, competitive position, regulatory plan, and anything else relevant to making an investment decision.
- Deepen and expand a subject matter expert network. The Bio Deal Partner will continuously grow & nurture the firm’s network of subject matter experts.
- Co-author “thought pieces” (in the form of blog posts, podcasts, presentations, YouTube videos, etc): The Deal Partner will collaborate extensively with the Bio investing team as a whole to co-author thought pieces for general consumption as well as for more specific audiences (e.g. corporations visiting the firm, press, analysts, etc).
- Participate in relevant industry conferences and events/meetings. The Bio Deal Partner represents a16z in the industry. They will regularly attend and participate in relevant industry events to learn, extract, and share deal flow and insight with the rest of the firm.
- An advanced degree (e.g., MS, PhD, MD) in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Physics or other related fields with a focus on life sciences applications. 2+ years of post-graduate professional experience required.
- Demonstrated analytical and operational capabilities – an ability to diligence complex chemistry, biology, and engineering products, developed through experiences we value: leading complex research, incubating or founding new companies, de-risking hypotheses, or otherwise operating in a science based / technology platform company.
- Genuine intellectual curiosity.
- The ability to gather, learn, and synthesize and effectively present or communicate (verbal/written) complex information.
- Desire and proven ability to explore and uncover new domains and technologies quickly.
- A natural user and connoisseur of the latest apps for business and / or personal productivity.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and work on tight deadlines.
- Upbeat, optimistic attitude.
- Previous investing, diligence (technology evaluation), and sourcing experience is ideal.
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
If interested, please apply here.