Johnson & Johnson is recruiting for an Impact Ventures, Investments Director. This position can sit out of any J&J office in the United States.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science — bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $82.1 billion in 2020 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
The J&J Impact Ventures, Investments Director will be part of a small, nimble team dedicated to further grow the impact investing portfolio. From a single impact investment, Johnson & Johnson Impact Ventures (JJIV) has grown into a social business platform and an innovation engine of the Johnson & Johnson Foundation—with a $50 million commitment and portfolio of more than a dozen investments as of 2021, Impact Ventures has already supporting better healthcare for 1.7+ million lives…and counting.
The Director will be responsible for leading and supporting impact investments (equity, debt, funds, etc.) whose solutions are helping advance J&J’s societal impact priorities, from supporting nurses and health workforce solutions to advancing health equity around the world, especially for low-income, diverse and marginalized populations. The Director will collaborate with GCI (Global Community Impact) colleagues in thesis formation, sourcing, structuring, investment execution, and portfolio monitoring, maintaining excellent relationships with the health impact ecosystem of early-stage companies, venture capitalists, foundations, and impact investors. S/he will also connect new portfolio companies to J&J sectors for mentorship and employee engagement opportunities. S/he will add to JJIV’s pipeline of potential investment opportunities by networking including VCs, entrepreneurs, scientific founders and other relevant ecosystem partners. The principal’s geographic focus will be North America and APAC regions.
This role is part of a newly created J&J Impact Ventures platform – for individuals to apply their business, finance, and investment skills to help advance J&J’s societal impact goals. Employees will have gained first-hand leadership experience working with early-stage entrepreneurs, growing new digital and social businesses, better insight into emerging markets and new customers, an appreciation for global health and development, and increased exposure to J&J senior executives.
This role reports to Finance Head of Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JJDC (Corporate Venture Capital of J&J). You will have a dotted line reporting to the Global Director, Social Innovation & Investment, Global Community Impact who will provide day-to-day direction and management across J&J Impact Ventures priorities. The person will be an integrated team member of the global team contributing to its mission to support and champion people innovating at the front lines of care.
– Lead or support investment deal teams to execute new equity, debt and innovative finance investments, partnering closely with regional, sector, and functional colleagues.
– Source and manage priority investment areas and pipeline opportunities, with focus on emerging geographies (Asia Pacific) and sectors, in partnership with regional teams.
– Research and develop strong investment theses, perform initial evaluation, participate in shaping conversations with company, determine investment structuring, lead due diligence process and financial modeling, and negotiating legal documentation.
– Accountable for validating financial and business plans as put forward by the management, the risks involved with the investment and how that relates to the price and financing of the transaction.
– Understand general Financial and Accounting implications from the type of Investments (Equity, Loans, Funds) and partner with JJDC Finance experts for technical support on sophisticated Equity Deals.
– Present and defend investments to JJIV Investment Committee and J&J Foundation Board of Directors, related to negotiation of Deal terms, rights and strategic fit to JJIV objectives.
– Manage key stakeholder relationships and negotiate across the table on behalf of J&J Impact Ventures with founders, investors, and strategics.
– Manage and monitor existing portfolio investments.
– Participate in and present to JNJ stakeholders and working on all aspects of the investment process on transactions. In addition, this person may serve as member of the Board of Directors (or as observer) for some investments and as a critical business partner for the JJIV and GCA team in creating long-term, sustainable business investments that drive value creation.
– Be a hub of insights and global trends related to health, innovative finance, and impact investing in health.
– Be an internal ambassador to represent and Champion Impact Ventures, connecting Finance and Global Community Impact colleagues and departments
– Represent Johnson & Johnson at key external stakeholder meetings and conferences, as requested.
Desired Skills and Experience
– A minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required.
– A minimum 10 years of professional experience is required.
– Experience in venture capital, growth equity, leveraged buy-out fund, investment bank, corporate business development, or strategic finance is preferred.
– An advanced degree in business administration or finance is preferred.
– Experience in deal sourcing, execution and company engagement and a deep interest in principal investing is preferred.
– Engagement with local and global development-related context and challenges is highly desired and valued.
– Business and investment acumen; Self-starter with ability to manage entire deal process from origination, sourcing, business model and financial due diligence, deal structuring, execution and portfolio management.
– Nimble generalist with desire to be a catalyst for change, and ability to be a quick study in multiple health topic areas
– High emotional maturity, intellectual curiosity, entrepreneurial, and creative thinker
– A self-starter, bias towards action, willing to “roll up their sleeves” across a flat, small team
– Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
– Strong Financial Analytical Skills are required.
– Ability to articulate complex deals and concepts into various audiences for approval is required.
– Capability to execute deals while keeping in mind the JJIV Mission and Strategic Value Proposition.
– Venture Capital experience is a strong plus to the role.
– This role will require at least 25% domestic and international travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
If interested, please apply here.